Sunday, March 27, 2016

Triple Moon by Melissa de la Cruz

**I received an advanced reader's copy of this book from Penguin Random House. This has not affected my review** 

Title: Triple Moon
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Pages: 368 pages
Published: November 10th, 2015 
Genre: Fantasy, Magic
Source: ARC from Random House 
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
From the New York Times bestselling author of Blue Bloods and Witches of East End


After they cause a terrible accident at their old high school, twin witches Mardi and Molly Overbrook are sent to live with their "Aunt" Ingrid Beauchamp in North Hampton, on Long Island's mist-shrouded East End. Because the twins cannot control their powers, their father begs Ingrid to tame them over the summer, before the White Council exiles the girls to Limbo.

Trouble continues to bubble and boil when the girls meet the younger Gardiner boys, who are just as handsome as sexy as their older kin. But all is not as it seems. As Ingrid helps the girls learn to control their magical umpulses, Mardi and Molly have just summer to figure out how to grow up, how to love, and how to be a family. 

Get it now!

Plot

We aren't getting enough of supernatural literature that portrays these beings in a serious and non ludicrous way. Every witch book I've read this year has either been too absurd for my liking or it just doesn't have the writing style I'm looking for. Triple Moon is the only exception. If you've never read Melissa de la Cruz's writing before, you should know that it's totally sarcastic and entertaining in a way that's not annoying. She's a masterful storyteller who also has a talent for weaving in several other twists and magical elements. 

I took a particular liking to this book with the mention of twin witches, or what I like to call them, twitches. A brief summary of this book would perhaps go like this: Mardi and Molly Overbrook seek refuge in North Hampton with their "aunt" Ingrid after causing some major trouble back home and causing two kids to get hit by a train. The White Council is not happy with their behavior and is afraid that people will start linking the deaths to witchcraft. As Mardi and Molly waste their summers in North Hampton they, in the end, seek the answer they've been looking for that doesn't hold them responsible for the deaths of the two other students and find love in the same place. They may be witches who love to fool around, but they aren't murderers. A truly inspiring tale about how a sibling's bond is stronger than black magic at work. Her plot and synopsis set up for a really riveting story, which I found I couldn't stop reading at any time. I was always so eager to pick back up the book. 

She brings deception and lies to a whole new level with characters that have ulterior motives and makes you start to ask yourself, "who can I really trust?

Characters

I took the opportunity to compare the twins in this book with the actions and personalities of me and my sister because I am indeed a twin, for those who didn't know. It's hard to write about twins if you're not one yourself. I definitely think Melissa de la Cruz did a great job for someone who doesn't have personal experience with being a twin, but at the same time it didn't fit with me as much as it could've. I liked how there was a lot of bickering between Mardi and Molly. That has been established in every sibling relationship. But where is the love? Twins are supposed to share an unshakable bond, and even with all the fighting, they're supposed to get along more than half of the time. 

I just didn't get enough of the love. I felt that 80% of the time they were always fighting or sneering and jeering at each other's comments. And it wasn't until the end or the middle that you finally saw the two understanding their bond and reconnecting more than they ever were. 

Romance

Melissa's romance is flooding me with all the memories of Jennifer L Armentrout and Gena Showalter. If you're a sucker for Jen's romance, I can assure you that Melissa's is not that far off. She takes sexy to a whole new level with incredibly beautiful witches and mouthwatering male characters. 

If you couldn't tell, I adored this book. It's definitely taught me to have a greater appreciation for books about the supernatural, especially because I haven't been taking a liking towards the genre lately. This book has everything you could want from a YA book, and I just hope I'll have the chance to get an advanced copy of the second book (if she so chooses to write one). 

Will you be picking up this book? 

author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!