March 28, 2016

Book Review: Hook's Revenge #2: The Pirate's Code

Hook's Revenge #2: The Pirate's Code by Heidi Schulz
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star
Source: Hardcover (and eARC)
Date of Publication: September 15, 2015
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Goodreads

Fresh off a fearsome encounter with the Neverland crocodile, Jocelyn Hook decides the most practical plan is to hunt down her father's famous fortune. After all, she'll need the gold to fund her adventuring in the future. (And luckily, Hook left her the map.)
But the map proves to be a bit harder to crack than Jocelyn had hoped, and she's convinced that the horrible Peter Pan might be the only one with the answers. Of course, he doesn't really feel like helping her, so Jocelyn takes the only reasonable course of action left to her: she kidnaps his mother. Evie, though, is absolutely thrilled to be taken prisoner, so Jocelyn's daring ploy doesn't have quite the effect she'd planned for.
Along with the problem of her all-too-willing captive, Jocelyn must also contend with Captain Krueger, whose general policy is that no deed is too dastardly when it comes to stealing Hook's treasure. And with the ever-shifting Whens of the Neverland working against her as well, Jocelyn, Evie, Roger, and the rest of the Hook's Revenge crew have their work cut out for them.

In this rambunctious showdown between characters new and old, Jocelyn puts her own brand of pirating to the test in a quest to save her future and those she loves.



My Review

This is a book I started reading the ebook but I just couldn't handle the way the illustrations were and the formatting so I decided I had to just preorder it and then I put it aside and waited for my copy to come (which it did because it was like a day before it came out). ;)

Especially because I had the eARC book I felt like I needed to physically own both. They're such adorable books, really. The ebook form just doesn't give you the same colorful shiny cover with the illustrations as cute and adorable that you can just stare at, it's a different medium and for those of you who know what I mean when I say it's a treasure to own--if you're considering buying it do it. It's delightful and I am certain I will be rereading this series :O

I like how the middle grade books have gotten more sophisticated like if you want to read this out loud to a kiddo (without calling them kiddo to their face, probably) -- you totally could!

I actually think I want to start reading books out loud to people who don't read much. I think it can be really gratifying because listening to a story is really fun, and for me I usually these days don't have a lot of time to read unless I want to give up my social time (which is hard to give up!) Lol so maybe I'll read this one out loud to some unsuspecting friend next Friday night. ;) haha, maybe Game of Thrones 2 would be better for that...

Anyway, I digress! This was a fantastic book. Full of adventure and I seriously think it was JUST AS GOOD AS THE FIRST BOOK. yeah, no "second book syndrome" here. :tup

Go read it. Now. ;) 

I received an advanced electronic copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. 

Remember to check out my review of book one: Hook’s Revenge



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!