February 7, 2016

Reading What I Want vs. What's Popular

This post has been in draft status since early December. I can't find any way to come clean. Some would think I'm reading less YA and others think I'm reading too much. Am I steering away from YA? Am I discovering new genres that I never read in the past? Am I reading from lesser known authors? All of the above are true. 

Over the past few weeks I've been looking through my bookshelves. I'm getting new ones soon so might as well look through the sea of chaos right now! Throughout my searching, I saw so many YA titles that I'm never going to read or am not interested in reading but I bought them anyway! At the time, they were popular and I didn't care for reading the synopsis. I just thought, hey, other people liked them so why not me? Now what am I supposed to do with these 20 books that I have no interest in picking up but spent a lot of money on? (hint hint giveaway in the near future). 

This isn't to say that I'm leaving the YA genre. Are you kidding? I'm only 15! That would be totally bonkers for me to say, "Hey guys I'm only 15 but I'm already steering away from the YA genre and getting into more New Adult romances!" I love YA, don't get me wrong. YA will always be a part of me that never fades. I just feel that nowadays some books are very cliche and receptive. Before I pick up a YA book, I usually ask myself have I read something like this before? Some really cliche and repetitive themes I've been seeing are superpowers, witches, dystopian societies, robots or some kind of alien taking over and apocalypses. I guess you could say I'm going to be a little more picky on the YA books I read.

 But you're still going to get your daily dose of YA, don't worry! 

I'm writing this post today to give others the confidence I didn't really have in the beginning of blogging. Don't buy a book (same goes for requesting ARCs) that doesn't immediately catch your eye. When people are out there requesting the most popular ARCs in the book world, I'm sitting here on the side going through Sci-Fi and Mystery releases. I do extensive research in the books that I request from publishers. Take Arena by Holly Jennings for example. It's not an insanely popular book that everyone's talking about but after doing some research, I realized that it's very similar to a book I've read before and really enjoyed. It also highlights some concepts that I think are intriguing and would love to know more about. 

So what is The Book's Buzz? It is now a book blog in general that specializes in, probably not the most popular books, but definitely some unique ones that are worth the read, whether it be NA, MG, or YA. Don't hate me for this guys! I just want to read and talk about books that really intrigue me. I hope you all understand and start to notice the change in the books I review or talk about! 


author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

4 comments :

  1. I loved reading this discussion and I have the same view as you :) I love YA but I seem to get into so many reading slumps because of books getting too repetitive or that I just didn't enjoy. I might need to take from it too and discover other genres like Crime, Historical Fiction and might find something that I didn't know that I liked. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Right now I'm taking a mini break from YA and discovering other books that don't directly fall under the YA genre. I like reading NA books now too as I believe they are really a step up from YA. Thanks for reading and I'm so glad I'm not alone with this discussion :D

      Delete
  2. "Before I pick up a YA book, I usually ask myself have I read something like this before? Some really cliche and repetitive themes I've been seeing are superpowers, witches, dystopian societies, robots or some kind of alien taking over and apocalypses. I guess you could say I'm going to be a little more picky on the YA books I read."

    ^^This!! I just DNF'd a book because it was so predictable and I felt like I'd read it a million times. I want books that surprise me a little!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I really want to make like a list of really unique YA books that I've read and loved.

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!