November 10, 2015

Dust Off Your Classics: Where I read a children’s classic!


Dust Off Your Classics has become an ongoing challenge created by Trish @ Between my Lines and myself. See the home page for details and more reviews of classics.

Title: Over Sea, Under Stone (Dark is Rising Sequence) 
Author: Susan Cooper
My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars :star :star :star 1/2
Date of Publication: 1965
Goodreads 
Genre: Middle grade, fantasy, adventure, mythology, norse, legends, classics

On holiday in Cornwall, the three Drew children discover an ancient map in the attic of the house that they are staying in. They know immediately that it is special. It is even more than that -- the key to finding a grail, a source of power to fight the forces of evil known as the Dark. And in searching for it themselves, the Drews put their very lives in peril. This is the first volume of Susan Cooper's brilliant and absorbing fantasy sequence known as The Dark Is Rising.



My Thoughts...
So I finally finished this!!
I am so proud of myself. Not because it was an awful book, it was definitely a solidly good book.

More so because all the reading time I have had lately has been squarely devoted to grad school readings (which are immensely long and thick and critical and BLAH). So when I am done with those I am so drained that the thought of reading (even an easy breezy book like this) makes me BLAH.

Anyway, the first 3/4 of this book were really wonderful. It flew by, and I really enjoyed reading about the three kids as they had their holiday in Cornwall with their Great Uncle Merry (who was an excellent character as well) ...aka GunMerry lol.

As the adventure unfolded (fairly quickly too I might add, as this book is under 200 pages, I got into it more and more. It did remind me a LOT of Narnia, specifically: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. That is one of my favorite books so it's not a criticism, but a compliment.

I liked the old classical feel of the book as well. I had bought a used version and my copy was definitely yellowed and musty and well read which definitely added something to the reading experience.

Will I read the rest of the series? YES, I will. So this book is a prequel but wasn’t written first so I wasn’t really sure what to read first. The friend who recommended this series to me insistently made sure that I was clear that I should read this one first. She said it’s the most boring of the series but it’s a great introduction to the characters. ANd while i can’t attest to the “most boring” part, I can say that I really do feel like I know the characters and the world and am excited for the next book just because so many people say it’s the best series and the next book is the best.

They even made a movie about this series! Has anyone seen it? I know this is a children’s classic that many of you have read as kids, and if you are one of those people I am dying to ask: what do you love best about this series? ^_^

If you’ve never heard of this series before I would recommend it to those who are looking for a book/series that is similar to Narnia and whimsical with a classic vibe to it. You know, there aren’t an awful lot of series like that so I feel like it was definitely worthwhile for me to read.

..Now I’m onto the next classic for the challenge! Trish is beating me like crazy so it’s motivating me!

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!