August 25, 2015

Book Review: Resonance by Erica O'Rourke


Series: Dissonance #2
My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars :star :star :star 1/2
Source: Hardcover via author/publisher
Publisher: Simon & Shuster
Date of Publication: July 21st, 2015
Pages: 448 pages || Goodreads

As a Walker between worlds, Del is responsible for the love of her life—and the fate of millions—in this thrilling sequel to Dissonance.
Del risked everything to save Simon, and now he’s gone, off in another world with no way for Del to find him.
She’s back at the Consort—training to be a Walker like everyone in her family. But the Free Walkers have other plans for her. This rebel group is trying to convince Del that the Consort is evil, and that her parents are unwittingly helping the Consort kill millions of people. The Free Walkers make Del the ultimate promise: if Del joins their fight, she will be reunited with Simon.
In agreeing, Del might be endangering her family. But if she doesn’t, innocent people will die, and Simon will be lost to her forever. The fate of the multiverse depends on her choice..
My Review

I’m gonna be honest. I lost this book during my move right before I finished. I looked up the ending.
Hence, the rating. I liked it overall.

I don’t know if I can write a detailed review since it was weeks ago that I read most of the book. I did write a review of the first book Dissonance, and I feel like a lot of it applies to this as well. I should have been smart and reviewed both at once like a friend of mine did ;)

Anyway I just love the parallel worlds concept. In this one we don’t have as much explanation asa he first one since the world is already set up and we really get more into the story and all that. There are more “truths” uncovered and obviously they begin questioing everything (which, I would too, ya know).

Overall I really enjoyed these books. As a lover of parallel worlds and those tricky time paradoxes I was pleasantly surprised to read a YA series where gaping holes aren’t just ignored with a cute boy or a love triangle. This book successful toed the line between romance, teen angst, dystopian/sci fi tendencies and yet feeling enough like our own world to be plausible (more so in book one but still). I also like how the romance didn’t take over (which I was worried about, I admit.

I’d recommend this to those who love good sci-fi / dystopian / contemporary / parallel worlds novels that are explained sufficiently (you may be confused a bit in book one but keep going because it’s only momentary). If you aren’t sure if you like novels about parallel worlds I would say try it! And if you have read these books and liked them then you should definitely at least give this a whirl. Don’t listen (or read) too much into the conflicting reviews about this series. Especially if you liked A Thousand Pieces of You , Illusions of Fate , or honestly, even Just Like Fate.

*This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!