Thursday, July 09, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: The Worrier’s Guide to Life


The Worrier’s Guide to Life by Gemma Correll

My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars :star :star :star 1/2

Source: eARC via Netgalley || Diamond Books Dist.

Published: May 26, 2015

If you're floundering in life, striking out in love, struggling to pay the rent, and worried about it all -- you're in luck! World Champion Worrier and Expert Insomniac Gemma Correll is here to assure you that it could be much, much worse. In her hugely popular comic drawings, Gemma Correll dispenses dubious advice and unreliable information on life as she sees it, including The Dystopian Zodiac, Reward Stickers for Grown-Ups, Palm Reading for Millennials, and a Map of the Introvert's Heart. For all you fellow agonizers, fretters, and nervous wrecks, this book is for you. Read it and weep...with laughter.

My Review

I received a copy of this book from this publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I had an absolute delightful time reading this graphic novel. It was irreverent, funny, and full of witty graphics! What more can you ask of a graphic novel? As it turns out, not much.

I guess this was a pretty perfect graphic novel in every way. I did feel like I was exactly the demographic this book was geared towards—a woman in her late twenties. It had jokes I could completely relate to (weight loss, body image, etc) and seriously had me laughing so hard my sides hurt.

The only thing I really felt I could have asked more of was story. It was a little limp on the story and meat of it…but I guess that is because it’s not really a “novel” per say… More like a humorous sort of remark (chapters indicate different subjects we all deal with every day) on everyday society and life.

taken from the e-ARC version

This above graphic is just one of the many hilarious examples of graphic delight I found in these pages. I definitely feel like it would be a perfect gift for your friend on a number of occasions! It’d make the perfect coffee table book. 

I actually think I will have to buy a copy for myself, just because it’s the type you can crack open at any time for a laugh. Although I don’t think it’d take long for one of my friends to see it and want to borrow it… :O 


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. This one sounds like a fun, entertaining read. Perfect for flicking through when you aren't in a full on reading mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! Which is precisely what I did :i hahah :P

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!