Sunday, June 28, 2015

My Youtube Experience Thus Far

Bet you haven't seen a discussion post in ages. WELCOME to yet another segment of me writing my favorite discussion posts. Today we're going to dwell on the topic of Youtube and my experience of Youtube plus blogging and my comparison between the two. No, this isn't some way for me to bag subscribers or advertise, but I want to encourage those who've been wanting to make a channel and I also want to see some your videos! 
  
 

A few things I've learned....
  • Editing is a pain in the arse
  • Making thumbnails takes as long as it does to edit on video 
  • I feel that I have to dress up when I'm in my videos 0_0
  • Don't stare away from the camera because then it really looks like you're talking to yourself
  • Youtubing gives you a ton of confidence when talking in class and in real life situations 
  • YOUTUBING IS SO FUN!! 
If you've been dying to make a channel for long and you're just afraid of doing it, I'm telling you right now to hone that fear and get out your camera. The best part about Youtube is that everybody, not only you, is afraid when they had to do it their first time. It's inevitable and not everybody can be as confident and whimsical as the last. Honing that fear and starting your channel is the first real step to getting anywhere in life because you can prove to yourself that you really try new things and always stick to it. 

Although I don't post daily, I think it's very important that you post at least once a week or have a set date where you're posting. It's not nice or funny to leave your readers or fans hanging when you're the one that set the commitment to provide content for them and they're also subscribed to you and waiting for more videos. I haven't been the best in this category but this summer I'm focused more on my Youtube channel than my blog because it's the only way I can really commit to this.

Jump-Starter Tips
  • If you're not comfortable talking in front of a camera just yet, try talking in a mirror and looking at yourself. I did that before I started filming and it pretty much was my practice before I did the real thing. 
  • Don't feel like you're obligated to get an HD expensive camera when you're beginning your channel. I have no shame in saying I used my ipad for the first few videos and then went on to using a hand-me-down camera, which I still use today. I'm going to wait until I get more subs to purchase a really expensive camera or an editing software.
  • Don't know how to edit? Find a parent of friend who does and either ask them to edit your videos for you or tell them to teach you. My sister is the one who taught me, and for that I'm very grateful. 
  • Post often and bring new ideas to the table! Your channel shouldn't just be all about book reviews. Why not try some tags, recommendations, and hauls?!
  • Have a nice background to shoot in front of you. I am usually drawn to videos that have really nice bookshelves or cool walls behind them so find a place that fits you!
I realize now that getting yourself out there can be a little scary at first. I was scared about what people would think about me at first when I uploaded my first video. I didn't have good camera quality and I wasn't already a pro so I stumbled and muttered a lot. There are a million ways my first video could have played out, but the point is that it's already up there and now I'm just building on that one.

Do you already have a channel? (leave links below so I can sub!) If not, are you planning on starting one? 



author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

6 comments :

  1. I had a channel but I stopped using it as I hated every second of it. Editing takes so long! I also found the book tubing community really bitchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing does take super long in the beginning. I have to agree that there are some downsides to the booktube community. Like they are all really competitive and I feel like that plays in how they react to others when they first join the community. Thanks for reading :D

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking seriously about giving YouTube a try. Editing sounds kind of fun strangely and I do love to fangirl about books ;-). Now that I have my pretty bookcases all set up too, it'd be fun to do a tour of them or something which you can only really do with a video. Maybe once I'm done traveling for the summer :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what... I'm kind of excited to see ur shelves omg guru. When you do get ur start up on Youtube, I would just love to subscribe and watch ur videos :D

      Delete
  3. I usually prefer reading things over watching, not sure why. So I never had the urge to made a youtube channel myself or watch booktubers. I also feel like it would be really awkward nad scary, but it's good to hear that's normal. Same as with a blog I can see how posting consistenly is important. Interesting post and I think those are great tips, especially the one about the background, it gives viewers something else to look at as well. And we book lovers love seeing bookshelves. I don't think making video's is something for me, but it's interesting to read about your experience with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkward and scary is exactly what it is but it's such a big leap towards something new. Thanks so much girl for telling me you liked reading about my experience. I hope you make a huge success with ur blogging and maybe u should try Youtube when you feel most comfortable.

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!