June 25, 2015

Dust Off Your Classics: A Midsummer Night's Dream…in quotes

Dust Off Your Classics is an original challenge that I  created with Trish @ Between My Lines. We realized that we had all these classics on our TBR and kept telling ourselves we would read them but never did—so to encourage ourselves to read more classics each year we decided to read 6 classics a year. Every other month, one book—short or long. It worked and this is our second year! Click the start up page for more info and to join! (you don’t have to do 6 books / year).


A Midsummer Night's Dream
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star
Source: Paperback (owned)
Folger Shakespeare Library Edition

Summary

Shakespeare's intertwined love polygons begin to get complicated from the start--Demetrius and Lysander both want Hermia but she only has eyes for Lysander. Bad news is, Hermia's father wants Demetrius for a son-in-law. On the outside is Helena, whose unreturned love burns hot for Demetrius. Hermia and Lysander plan to flee from the city under cover of darkness but are pursued by an enraged Demetrius (who is himself pursued by an enraptured Helena). In the forest, unbeknownst to the mortals, Oberon and Titania (King and Queen of the faeries) are having a spat over a servant boy. The plot twists up when Oberon's head mischief-maker, Puck, runs loose with a flower which causes people to fall in love with the first thing they see upon waking. Throw in a group of labourers preparing a play for the Duke's wedding (one of whom is given a donkey's head and Titania for a lover by Puck) and the complications become fantastically funny.

Thoughts

I am a fan of Shakespeare. This was actually a reread, I had read it years ago and didn't really remember it (I read it before I really liked Shakespeare). I can see why it didn't really leave a huge impression. It's good but doesn't really do much that the movie(s) don't do! 
There were definitely some fantastic one liners! I figured that instead of trying to write a review that would be impossible to write (for me at least) :D 

I would share with you the quotes I found most enjoyable and really liked while reading ;) 

Notable Quotes


The course of true love never did run smooth.
-Lysander  [1.1.136 Act1 Scene 1 line 136]

What fools these mortals be!
-Robin [3.2.117]


I was with Hercules and Cadmus once, When in a wood of Crete they bayed the bear. 

Hippolyta  [4.1.116-117]

The Lunatic, the lover, and the poetAre of imagination all compact. Hippolyta  


---------------


Do you recognize any of these? 

I have to say my favorite is “What fools these mortals be!” For some reason I always picture Grimalkin from The Iron Fey series saying it, instead of Robin (or, Puck as we Iron Fey lovers would know him!) At least I had so much to muse about this time when I read this book. 


It’s definitely not my favorite Shakespearean play, or even comedy…but it was an okay read and there was a lot I had forgotten from the last time I had read it over ten years ago. I feel like in this case I am not building it up in my head as I was, I had remembered it being Fantastic, and .. yeah not so much! :| lol 
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. I never knew where that quote about the course of true love never running smooth came from! And I often quote it because it's so true :O
    I love how you choose to read Shakespeare, that would be far too heavy for me. Although I do like Hamlet, maybe I'll reread that sometime. I kind of like revisiting books I did in school as it's interesting how much you remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I know! haha yeah Shakespeare is kinda messed up but it didn’t feel too heavy :) Yeah Hamlet is a good one. I Really like The Merry Wives of Windsor..
      Revisiting books is fun but can be a shock when your reaction isn’t the same :|

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!