June 10, 2015

Book Review: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han


Title: P.S. I Still Loved You
Author: Jenny Han
Pages: 337 pages
Published: May 26th, 2015
Genre: Contemporary
Rating: 4.5 / 5 Stars (You'll see where that 0.5 got lost)


Lara Jean didn't expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren't. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever. When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that's part of what makes it amazing.


Buy it now! 

SORRY... 
100x I'm sorry to all the fans and readers of Dee's Reads for keeping my MIA status. I actually just got out of finals and now all I have left are my regents, so I haven't had time to read or schedule things. But today, I'm here with an amazing review for Jenny Han's duology, To All the Boys I've Loved Before. 

If you haven't read the first book, this review is just going to be a major spoiler for you. I hope this encourages you to read this duology because Jenny Han's contemporary writing has utterly blow me away. As a heavy fantasy reader, I find Han's writing comparable to any fantasy/thriller book: intriguing with an unexpected twist at every end.

P.S. I Still Love You  begins where To All the Boys I've Loved Before ends. It revives the readers who are hardcore fans of the first book with an enlightening refresher: Lara Jean's letters have been mailed out and she's now dating Peter Kavinsky, the popular guy she's had a crush on forever. It was really hard for me to get back into the story only because I had read the first one a while ago and I wasn't ready for this love story to end. Nevertheless, I forged through it in one sitting and am glad with the way things turned out in the end.

Nothing beats the plot of a great Jenny Han book. Nothing. Jenny Han literally wields worlds between her fingertips and hides most of the beautiful romances in her pocket. You can never really predict what's going to happen next for the two lovebirds but also what transformation the main character is going to undergo. 

I absolutely loved the concept of the second book where another boy from Lara Jean's past, who also received a letter, comes back and riles up some trouble between Peter and Lara. In the first book, I was quite confused with Lara and Peter's relationship since they were just faking their interest. Soon it grew into admiration and they eventually fell hard for each other. It made sense up until I found out they were actually in love with each other because it was like, "I need you to hang with me to make my girlfriend jealous." AND THEN... "In the process of making my girlfriend jealous, I've also fallen in love with you." 

Lara Jean has evolved so much from book 1, but she's still a little bit condescending when it comes to Peter hanging out with his ex, Genevieve. Was it only me who thought that? I get that she was just trying to ensure that her heart wouldn't be broken but she didn't have to be so freak-out-extra-careful-and-jealous kind of girlfriend. Trust me, those are the worst. 

The conflict of this sequel was lost in translation for me because we have the problem between Lara Jean and Genevieve and then Peter and John. You see where I'm getting at there? This book had its flaws but it was still so lovey-dovey and emotional, basically just my kind of book. For all contemporary lovers, if you haven't tried reading Jenny Han, she should be the next author on your list. I'm a hardcore fantasy lover and it's incredible that this incredible that this contemporary gave me all these feels and has left a great impact on my love life. 

BTW DIAMOND, you have to read this book! :P  Just needed to put that together because us girls like to communicate the old fashion way, through our reviews haha xD! This book is contemporary 101 right here with all the feels, dashing men, and a conflicted protagonist with a long history. Can and will she make it out of love alive? Read the book to find out! 


author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

2 comments :

  1. I really liked this book, and I thought it was an excellent follow-up to To All the Boys I've Loved Before, especially since it picks up right where the first book left off. I agree that there were a lot of confusing emotional entanglements between all of the teens, but that takes me back to my own high school years; I wasn't an especially dramatic person even as a teen, but I remember how hard high school could be at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love in itself is a tangle of knots. I just loved the way Han expressed that idea in her book and made it seem relatable. Ha thanks for sharing your experience reading the book! I'm glad u liked it :D

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!