June 9, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

My Rating: 5 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star :star

Source: eARC (sampler) + paperback (Barnes & Noble)

Publisher: HarperCollins

Publication Date: May 12th, 2015


The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic." Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.  Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.   But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

My Review 

*I received a sample of this from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*
*That sample wasn't enough so I preordered it and this review is based on the entire thing*

I received this on Edelweiss, and when I opened it up I thought it was just a short graphic novel (some of them are really short). Quickly I discovered it was just a sampler and I was just devastated. :c I immediately pre-ordered this graphic novel and started it the day it came in the mail. (happy again! :O ) Luckily I didn't have that big of a gap from when I finished the sampler to continuing it in the final version. I'm SO glad I bought it though ^_^ The graphics, smell, colors, humor, everything about this graphic novel is to die for.

Without a doubt it's the best graphic novel I have read all year.

Yes, I know how shocking that statement is Believe me though, I absolutely mean it! Not only was it the best I have read all year, but also one of the best young adult graphic novels I have ever read in my entire life. To show you why, I have to show some graphics (har har).
*The images link back to their source, more details at the end of the post.

I just had to include some pictures to show you guys what kind of cute graphics and personalities we are talking about here.


Characters
The characters are charming, ridiculous, unexpected (I am thinking particularly of Nimona when I say unexpected), and funny.
I thought I kind of knew what to expect when I started reading…but I wasn't completely correct. I knew it would be funny, but I wasn't expecting how much I would love it. I especially wasn't expecting how different the main character, Nimona was. She wasn't some nice girl or some mean girl who went through tragedy that needed a hug and a friend to turn soft and fragile and loving again. She was herself. And that is gold.

The mixture of old-age dragon slayer atmosphere, village life and heroism was definitely strong. However, I really like how there was an equally strong juxtapositon of futuristic vibes. The science heavy talk (not to mention scientist, see pic below) really was surprising. And the "big corporation" aka evil pressure that is molding society into something unknown and morally ambiguous—well that was just the icing on the cake. I loved it so much! It's definitely one of those great worlds where you have all these different elements of worlds you already know and maybe even love but the way they are arranged together is so new and right that it feels old. It feels natural. Does that make sense? I hope so because I am having a hell of a time explaining it. :$

I am  SO glad to see this book is getting the attention it deserves (the more the better!) As an avid fan of graphic novels that aren't (always) based on superheroes/heroines I am nodding my head vigorously in answer to your question;


Yes, you should read this. 


.Even if you aren't a graphic novel fan? Absolutely



As I'm wrapping up my review, it strikes me that I haven't given you much to go on besides my declarations of love and my commands to go and read it. If that is not enough for you )or if you are still unsure because you aren't a big graphic novel reader) I will give you some more morsels of fact.

Rainbow Rowell liked this graphic novel. 

(tidbit: Although I saw her quote on the cover I didn't realize how perfect it was for it. I actually feel like it has a lot of the same artistic vibe as Rowell's covers and characters. Thus, if you like Rainbow Rowell's books, especially Fangirlgo read this book.

Images from Gingerhaze.com  
  ^_^ ^source of the original web comic^ ^_^




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!