April 30, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Angel & Faith: Vol. 3: Family Reunion

Title: Angel & Faith Volume 3: Family Reunion by Christos Gage, Rebekah Isaacs, Joss Whedon (Executive Producer)

My Rating: 5 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star :star

Publisher: Dark Horse

Date of Publication: April 17th, 2013

Angel’s quest to resurrect Giles has brought an old friend to London—Willow! Tensions run high as these two confront the loss of Giles, but before blood can be shed, Willow has a proposition. She’ll help Angel on his quest if he’ll help her find magic. To do that, she’ll need Connor to get them into Quor’toth, a hell dimension where magic runs deep. Collects issues #11–#15

My Review 

The Angel & Faith graphic novels have become popular as they have surpassed the quality of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics. This volume has made it so clear to me that Angel & Faith is the only series I wish to follow at the moment. I'm putting down Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics and instead focusing on these as they are much more interesting and very well-written.

In this graphic novel we have some new (old) characters reappearing and I absolutely loved it. Willow is part of this whole volume, and so is Connor who is Angel's son (if you watched the show at all you know this, if not it's okay because they introduce his character really well. Gunn is along for a brief bit, as are two fantastic new characters from Giles' past (his aunties) who are immortal due to magic. They're hilarious and vain and I really liked that they continued form the last volume and seem to be regular characters now with Angel & Faith.

In a world without magic, Willow is desperate to recover it. To do so she needs to rip through to another dimension and gain her magic back. To do that she needs Connor, who is the only one with enough dark magic to rip open a portal to the dimension he spent 17 years in—fighting for his life in hell. 

In a world without magic, Angel is desperate to recover the pieces of Giles' soul in an attempt to bring him back from his natural death. 

These two plotlines are present in this volume — the Willow one is also seen in the Buffy comics. Willow and Angel work together (with Faith) 

What I really liked about this volume was that it was written in such a way that a complete newbie to the series and the shows would be able to pick it up and understand it fully. Not only that, but actually enjoy it! I loved the action, humor, horror, and atmosphere. The drawings and style was impeccable. :tup

I have to state that I read this in one day. I can't remember the last time I finished anything in one day. Due to my busy schedule it's logistically extremely difficult. But I powered through this one and literally didn't get up off the couch until I was done with it. Following that I immediately went on Amazon and ordered Volume 4. It can't come soon enough. I plan to continue binging on this series and loving every minute of it. ^_^


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!