Thursday, April 23, 2015

Book Review: Dead of Winter (Arcana Chronicles #3) by Kresley Cole

Dead of Winter by Kresley Cole

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Source: Hardcover from my collection*

Date of Publication: January 6th, 2015


Can Evie convince her rival loves to work together? Their survival depends on it in this third book of #1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole’s Arcana Chronicles, a nonstop action tale of rescue, redemption, and a revenge most wicked.

Heartbreaking decisions 
Evie was almost seduced by the life of comfort that Death offered her—until Jack was threatened by two of the most horrific Arcana, the Lovers. She will do anything to save him, even escape Death’s uncanny prison, full of beautiful objects, material comforts…and stolen glances from a former love.

Uncertain victory 
Despite leaving a part of her heart behind with Death, Evie sets out into a perilous post-apocalyptic wasteland to meet up with her allies and launch an attack on the Lovers. Such formidable enemies require a battle plan, and the only way to kill them may mean Evie, Jack, and Death allying. Evie doesn’t know what will prove more impossible: surviving slavers, plague, Bagmen and other Arcana—or convincing Jack and Death to work together.

Two heroes returned 
There’s a thin line between love and hate, and Evie just doesn’t know where she stands with either Jack or Death. Will this unlikely trio be able to defeat The Lovers without killing one another first...?
 

My Review 

This is one of my favorite series. I don't usually read post-apocalyptic books too much (ok, ever) but I love this series so much. It's kind of a guilty pleasure, in a way. I love Kresley Cole so much and I like how the Tarot cards are incorporated along with Death…I mean I am completely shipping this ship people. I'm not going to write  detailed review because I don't want to spoil like ANYTHING, if you read this book at all you know it's full of surprises and any detail (in my opinion) could ruin the experience for you :L

Evie…
The most indecisive bad-ass you'll ever meet.. (and I say that with love)
Aric or Jack? What to do?
What to do?
What to do?

*strings them along*
..but what did we expect, guys, really?!?! xP

JACK

ARIC (DEATH)
really hard to find the right gif of what matched my head, so yeah. 
-not how I picture him, so use your imaginations. 
I ship Aric + Evie, btw..


Cliffhangers are Kresley Cole's kindling 
..over which the anguish that keeps us awake at night just gathers and fuels the fire that heats her home...
I imagine her sweet author face laughing maniacally…
 Seriously though, she's good. 
I mean..not to mention she pulled the wool over my eyes (somehow) by kinda keeping it under wraps that this IS NOT A TRILOGY.  THERE WILL BE A 4TH BOOK.
Um, yeah…and a bunch of us didn't realize that until before this book came out. At least I knew going in, or I would have been super upset because of the cliffhanger. 
Just like the last book, ended in the major cliffhanger where you feel like you're going to die and scream and you need to just know what happens. That is exactly the same feeling that this one produces. So prepare yourself.. But it's just great nonetheless. 
It's one of the few series that I actually like that anticipation, even though it's agony for 1 year waiting. 
Then (like this year) I hold on the to the book for months scared to read it because I know it's going to wreck me inside and ahh *feels*

The top things I gotta say about this part of the series:

-it's FULL of action. 

-FULL of exclamatory sentences. Admittedly, I love using exclamation points and overuse them all the time so I can't judge this badly. However, in the beginning it did take a lot of getting used to because I just didn't remember the last books having that much of it and it felt weird. 

- Kind of a choppy style. But it fits with what is going on in the world (chaos) post apocalypse end of days and all that jazz. ;) 

-not too much steam / sexy scenes. I would like to have had more, since this is like the hottest YA series as far as just going there sexually and I love that. She owns it and is honest about things. (although, does anyone really say "oral" anymore??) jw.. hahah 
and I would have liked more with Aric and her, or hell even Jack. But there was more action less physical lusty-ness. Kinda bummed about that, honestly…because there was a lot more 

-Romantic angst up the wazoo. Ugh. Not my favorite (this is why I avoid contemporaries. Kinda was annoyed (see above) at Evie's "who should I pick" attitude ALL the time. But not annoyed enough not to like her as a flawed character.

I just keep thinking about this book and am so glad I stretched it out and took like a month to read it. Which, was pretty hard considering.. but I just didn't want it to end.

Okay I gotta end this review guys. I apologize for the non-review feel to it. I just didn't feel like I could write a serious review about this book because I have so much fun with this series and am slightly obsessed so I figured I would showcase that. Ha! :L 

Have you read the Arcana Chronicles?

If you've read this book and want to talk about it, email/tweet me/comment/message me I AM definitely dying to discuss it :O

*If comments spoil the book in ANY way I will make a huge note in the beginning of the post and another one warning everyone* 

..so read freely! Spoiler-free! 




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. I'm legit afraid to read this one b/c now I know there's a fourth and I'll die if there's a cliffhanger, which there WILL BE B/C THERE HAS BEEN FOR ALL THE OTHERS. I was Team Jack in Book 1...I just really liked Jack from Book 1...but I also like how epic Aric & Evie's long-epic romance is...ugh. Yeah, the way the characters speak/think is really jarring at times, especially what's his face...I forgot his name, the kid who can see the future. Books can't give steam in first books and then take it away in later ones!!! PLEASE MORE STEAM. Each book should just have more and more sexy scenes, right?! I mean, we all know K.Cole is a Romance author, so just give it to us already! hehe. Great review, Dee. I've been putting this off (for reasons above), but maybe I'll just read it, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I UNDERSTAND YOUR FEAR>
      And you may be surprised, but I would actually encourage you to put it off (if you can wait) because I hate that feeling of cliffhangers too and its not like you can't super fast read both books in a row. This is actually a series I wish I would've done like that, because its so hard to wait. lol.
      I totally agree with you that after the first book with all the steam I was pleasantly surprised and it was a selling point for me regarding the whole series and my introduction to Kresley cole. I read her adult immortals after dark series (some of them) and just love them! I feel like she needs to put more steam in the next book or i'll be Really upset lol. I wonder if she plans to or if the publisher was like don't put that much steam? i don't know but let's hope theres some with Aric and even Jack i don't care haha! :L
      Let me know what you decide! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!