April 22, 2015

ARCS: The Good and The Bad

To a book blogger, or any reader in general really, ARCs are like the pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow, but sometimes they can be the monsters underneath our beds. As readers it really depends on us to decide what ARCs really mean to us, whether it's good or bad. I will go over the good and the bad of ARC books because I believe this will be some sort of a wake up call. In all honesty, I don't get as many ARCs as I would like to but I don't find that disappointing or embarrassing in any way. 


The Good
~ The Obvious - You get to read and review books earlier than everybody else. Who wouldn't be jealous? If it's for a series you love, you get to read the next installment that you've been dying to get your hands on. 
~ Means You're Doing Something Right - Whenever you're eligible for ARC copies, it usually means that you're doing something right with your blog/review site. It also means you have a 'proper' amount of followers and readers. 
~ Bragging Right - You have the power to brag (but you really shouldn't bec it makes people sad *whispers* like me). Other bloggers/reviewers will swoon at your ARC and try to take it from your grasp.


The Bad
~ No Time - I usually find that this is a huge detriment for me. I'm not very good at keeping track of what I read at specific times (understand?). I never keep a book about when I'll read a certain book, I just pick it up at a random time when I feel like reading the book. On occasions when I do get ARCs, I find that I never have the time to read them so I have to squeeze them into my schedule. 
~ Can Make You Seem Desperate - When you ask for ARCs too many times, it does get repetitive and might come out as desperate. 
~ Are Hard To Get - ARCs are a pain, at times. because they are not necessarily easy to get- not for everyone, of course. They can get soooo frustrating sometimes. For example, when I want a book so badly as an ARC, I will do anything to get it! But the sad news always comes when I have to face the fact that I won't be receiving the ARC. 


I know I'm missing a lot of pros and cons, so give me some pointers down below. 
author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

8 comments :

  1. Nice post, Diamond :) I guess I never thought about it like this. It sounds too much of a pain if you ask me (but then, I've never requested an ARC, so my opinion is really that of an outsider's). But I can see the fun too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all those points, but I think I'll always be one of those desperate bloggers scrambling for my eagerly awaiting books as ARCs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. I love ARC's and the majority of them I get are from NetGalley. I very rarely get a physical copy of the books I review but I have been known to email a publisher to request a book. I've only done that a handful of times though because I only request the books that I'm absolutely dying to read. Plus, I do feel a little funny asking for a free book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find Netgalley as a great source but tbh, i'm looking for the serious physical copies! I need them in my hand and yes, same I'd do anything for a free book!

      Delete
  4. Yep, they are a blessing and a curse! I think I'm lucky enough to get as many as I do and I'm sure it's because there are less bloggers over here and so less competition for them. But it's too easy get carried away and next thing you are hiding them from yourself! I get a good few unrequested ones too from publishers and not all of them are to my taste and I never quite know what to do with this. So I suppose that is another drawback. Plus you HAVE to write a review which can feel very different from CHOOSING to write one. You know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the point that you made. You honestly don't get to choose what book you want half the time, unless you request it but they can be so time consuming if the book is bad.

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!