March 3, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: My Little Pony: Friends Forever Vol. 3

My Little Pony: Friends Forever Vol. 3 by Tony Fleecs, Christina Rice

Source: eARC via Netgalley | Diamond Book Dist.

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star

Publisher: IDW Publishing

Date of Publication: March 17th, 2015

Four tales of friendship and fun! Contains stories involving Granny and the Flim Flam brothers, Fluttershy and Iron Will, Rainbow Dash and Wonderbolt Spitfire, and Pinkie Pie! Collects issues #9–12.  

My Review

I've read a lot of these MLP graphic novels. My reasons for reading them are really simple. I love the show and watch it regularly. I think the characters are cute and fun to watch, not to mention the "lessons" are inspiring (I don't think I'm "too mature" to learn from a kids show). Also, I love graphic novels. 

My Little Pony has succeeded once again in proving to me that this is not just a great television show. 

They updated and remade the show from the 80s into an extremely successful triumph. They have attracted thousands of people who are adults (i.e. google "bronies") and this graphic novel venture is, in my opinion, a success.

It's hard to have a television show (cartoon) and create a graphic novel that makes the reader feel like they're reading something entertaining, true to the show, and most of all—has something different that you don't really get on the screen. That "something" can really be anything—a wisp of something or a concrete difference (like pairing different characters together in situations you wouldn't see on the show.

The latter is what they did with the past few graphic novels and I really love that. This graphic novel had some really cute stories. I loved the one with Rainbow Dash teaching the little phillies (oh they were so CUTE) :$ We got to see a side to Rainbow Dash that we don't normally see in the show.

I have to say that this is the best volume of My Little Pony graphic novels that I have read so far. So if you have read them but feel like maybe skipping it because "they're all the same?" DO NOT do that! I almost did and I am so glad I didn't because it was a great read. It lifted me up and felt so light and fun — I really needed this read during my stressful week. ;)

-Diamond


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

9 comments :

  1. I grew up watching MLP and loved that show. Glad to hear this volume was able to help your out during a stressful week. It's nice when you can escape in a book for a little while.
    Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! Did you ever catch the new show? I know a lot of old fans really like it (like me ) :L They're just so cute I actually like it better— which says something. i'm glad the little ponies could help me de-stress too. That's why I love cartoons!! xP

      Delete
  2. Oh My Little Ponies! I love seeing that these are still around, and in graphic novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great thing to see them still? I just love it. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :h

      Delete
  3. My inbox was showing on my open laptop and my son saw the email with your review. He immediately clicked on it, read it and announced that he wants these :D He obviously liked your review! So do I :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW THAT IS SO CUTE!! AND AMAZING, it makes me really proud :L
      Let me know what he thinks when he reads it (and you too if you read it with him) :h
      Thanks Ramona!

      Delete
  4. i have a MLP fan in my family. Glad the ponies are still going strong!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems surreal MLP is back and so strongly. In a way I'm glad because I loved them as a child!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!