Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Living with Non-Book People


I live with five other people in the house, 2 dogs, one fish, and one coral snake. No I'm totally kidding about the coral snake and the fish (Lenny died two years ago). But to get straight and right away to the point, I live with non-bookish people! aka. people that don't like to read, or don't like books. And how do I survive you may ask? Well honestly I don't but we've all got our ways of adapting. 

1. Talking to Yourself 
Leading a life surrounded with non-book people can result in talking to yourself. I normally have absolutely no one to talk about books with and that frustrates me! I get caught up in a conversation with sister about books but she's not interested, so she leave the room and I'm all alone talking to myself. In the worst cases, I've actually done this at the dinner table and I thought my parents were listening. But when they asked me, "Hey are you talking to yourself?" I was very disheartened.


2. Getting Yelled at for Buying Too Many Books
I'll admit that I go to Barnes and Noble on a weekly basis. It's an unhealthy habit but it's something I, myself as a person obsessed with reading, cannot control or handle. AKA It's me being me. What non-book people don't understand is that me not being able to buy books is like a fish not being able to stay in water. And they question me. Ask me why I always buy books even thought I have a bunch that I haven't read yet.


3. Impatient at Bookstores 
While I'm browsing the shelves at the bookstore, my parents suddenly tell me that it's time to leave and I'm taking way too long. Well of course I am! I need to make sure I'm choosing the most absolutely best book that I know I will enjoy. My family is very impatient with me at the bookstores and sometimes, rarely ever, I do feel bad that I have to drag them with me.


4. Touching My Books
I have a tiny little brother who thinks it's hilarious when my books end up on the floor and they have water spilled all over them. Imagine living with that and if you have this 'thing' and survived, bless you! Living with non-book people is hard because well my family tends to touch my books all the time and looking at the covers. No, no don't touch maaa books!! 


5. Alienated
Sometimes I do feel like the alien of the family just because I don't have the same interests as everyone else and would rather stay inside reading a book instead of having a picnic outside. It really gets to the point where I'm the nerd of the family. But don't be fooled because this can also mean a very good thing! It means you're unique and basically different than the rest of your family! 


Do you live with non-book people? Share your experience! 



author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

23 comments :

  1. Haha, such a funny list. And true! My husband does like to read, but not nearly to the extent that I do. He does get a bit impatient at bookstores, but he tried his hardest not to show it. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same I have a husband that doesn't read and neither does any of my family. You feel so alone sometimes but that's why we have libraries and blogging lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I'm glad I've got something to rely on xD

      Delete
  3. I hear ya :) Hubby reads, but not as much as me, and he doesn't understand my addiction. And just last night my ten year old asked me "What is it with this book obsession of yours?", to which I replied, "What is it to this video games obsession of YOURS?" What can I say... Nobody's perfect :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Omg that's hilarious. It's just like what my brother says to me.

      Delete
  4. OMG to true my roommates never let me go into bookstores any more because "we don't have enough time". I never have anyone to talk to and that SUCKS!!! Sometimes a book is so great you have to share it but there's no one to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD If you ever need anyone to talk to, we're *points to the entire blogosphere* all here for you :D

      Delete
  5. I am very lucky that I have a sister who is almost as much into books as I am. There is something special about being able to have someone listen to you read a passage from a book and have them oohing and ahhing with you over it. We no longer live together and I totally miss those moments where we bonded over book, but we still get together and compare "notes" and let each other know about new authors/books that we have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous right now. I have a sister as well and she likes to draw instead of reading books or much less picking up a book. Ohh I'm sorry you guys don't live together anymore. I'm definitely going to keep in touch with my sister when we move out. And we're twins, so that should be a problem since we have like mind-reading abilities LOL! #twinception

      Delete
  6. Awww. I would say I relate but I really don't. I have a sister who's way more obsessed than me!! Haha so talking to her is all I need. I also have this one friend who loves all the same books as me and I guess that's part of the reason why we're so close. And yeah I basically know a lot of people who read the same books as me. Just come comment on my blog or something if you wanna discuss some AMAZING books ;) I can feel your pain through this post.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky. I'm so jelly right now. I need to implant some book juice in my sister's mind!

      Delete
  7. My husband is non-bookish, the poor idiot. ;) It's a good thing we have this awesome book community or I don't know what I'd do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly.. I don't really relate, aside from being alienated and getting yelled at for buying too much books. The latter hasn't happened yet. My mom IS a reader, but since she reads nonfiction and I read fiction... we're on completely different spectrums, lol.

    Fab post, Alex! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that your mom reads non fiction. it's like you guys can exchange notes lmfao

      Delete
  9. The people I live with aren't SUPER bookish, but they aren't super NOT bookish either. :D I do have a few friends who love books, and I enjoy discussing books with them. But that's why I love book blogging. I can pick up a book topic and run with it with so many people! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! A well-balanced atmosphere!

      Delete
  10. HAHAHAHAHAHA I love it! My household's pretty bookish though (they kicked me out of the family library so they could have it all to themselves omg why) BUT I still do the talking to myself bit. Especially when I get frustrated with the characters. OR SECOND HAND EMBARRASSMENT LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family.... library. Bring me over sometime huh? lmfao

      Delete
  11. Haha what a cute post, I can so relate to you - no one in my family reads books and my sister is a teacher and she doesn't even read o.O I feel Alienated as well .. & they are bored with me in bookstores lol I'm like WHYYYY?!?!?! Lol Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mainly live alone. But when I've lived with others they've mainly been non-readers. All think my book obsession and collections are cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, the horror! :P I'm lucky in that I've basically taught my little sister to be a bookish person, and now that she's old enough to talk about books with me it's absolutely lovely. My dad is somewhat bookish as well, and my mom's learned to put up with all of us at bookstores... although I must admit, I do still tend to talk to myself sometimes. ;) Great post! x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!