Sunday, March 15, 2015

Book Review: Snow White and the 77 Dwarfs by Davide Cali

Title: Snow White and the 77 Dwarfs by Davide Cali, Raphaelle Barbanegre

Source: eARC via Netgalley | Tundra Books
My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars :star :star :star 1/2
Date of Publication: April 14th, 2015

Snow White is on the run from an evil witch when she comes across some dwarfs in the forest. They agree to take her in and keep her safe if she will help them with their chores. She soon realizes she's taking on a lot more than she bargained for. 77 breakfasts to make, 77 lunches to pack (don't forget the juice boxes!), 77 pairs of pants to mend and a whole lot of dishes. Eventually Snow White decides to take her chances with the witch. There's a surprise ending... well, it may not be so surprising. This is a hilarious retelling of the classic tale, with bright, energetic illustrations featuring busy dwarfs, and the even busier Snow White.

My Review 


I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This story will have everyone laughing. The only one who isn’t laughing is poor Snow White. 77 dwarfs are a lot to clean up after and she has bitten off more than she can chew. Fortunately she comes up with the perfect solution in this imaginative retelling of the classic.

I’m really glad I decided to read Snow White and the 77 Dwarfs. It’s a hilarious children’s story based on the original with some very big twists. This modern retelling is absolutely delightful. The best thing about it, by far, are the illustrations. They’re magical. The book is infused with extremely rich colors—which make it impossible to put down! I think this is great news for parents who wish to read to their kids, or people like me who like to have funny and enchanting books to read to my younger relatives. I enjoyed reading it myself, too. There’s nothing better than laughing along with whoever you’re reading to, and you’ll definitely do that with Snow White and the 77 Dwarfs. 

I recommend this book to anyone who likes to laugh and enjoys amazing illustrations. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this book ended up on the Goodreads Reader’s Choice for Best Illustrated Children’s Book of 2015 (it’s February and I’m saying that). So go check it out. I know I’ll be buying a copy when it comes out so I can share it with the youngsters in my family.

-Diamond

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. Oh, that cover is amazing! I love to laugh and I've been known to enjoy a good illusion now and then, so maybe this one is for me? :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cute! I wish I still had little kids around to read to!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!