Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Book Review: Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus #5) by Rick Riordan

Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus #5) by Rick Riordan

My Rating: 5 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star :star

Copy: Hardcover Barnes & Noble Exclusive Ed. (owned)

Publisher: Disney / Hyperion Books

Date of Publication: October 7th, 2014

Awards: Won the Goodreads Choice for 2014 Best Middle Grade / Children's Book


Though the Greek and Roman crewmembers of the Argo II have made progress in their many quests, they still seem no closer to defeating the earth mother, Gaea. Her giants have risen—all of them—and they're stronger than ever. They must be stopped before the Feast of Spes, when Gaea plans to have two demigods sacrificed in Athens. She needs their blood—the blood of Olympus—in order to wake. The demigods are having more frequent visions of a terrible battle at Camp Half-Blood. The Roman legion from Camp Jupiter, led by Octavian, is almost within striking distance. Though it is tempting to take the Athena Parthenos to Athens to use as a secret weapon, the friends know that the huge statue belongs back on Long Island, where it "might" be able to stop a war between the two camps.  The Athena Parthenos will go west; the Argo II will go east. The gods, still suffering from multiple personality disorder, are useless. How can a handful of young demigods hope to persevere against Gaea's army of powerful giants? As dangerous as it is to head to Athens, they have no other option. They have sacrificed too much already. And if Gaea wakes, it is game over.  
*** :star SPOILER-FREE REVIEW :star***

My Review

*If you don't want to know anything about the characters or plot of the entire series why are you reading a review of the last book  i think it's impossible to review a final book without discussing characters or plot, if someone discovers how—dish it.

It's fitting that it's taken me this long to sit and write a review for this. It took just as long for me to stare at the newly arrived book (a week or so after it released); and finally pluck up the courage to read it. You may think this is weird…after all, I was excited to read it. But it was more than that.

This is the very last book of the Heroes of Olympus series.  The series that I've fallen in love with, and that I have to say is my favorite series tied with Harry Potter. I don't say that lightly. It's a series that, if you follow the blog, you know I follow and ship for Percabeth (the romance between two main characters that develops in the first series (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)).

Perhaps it's because I'm a self-professed enthusiast for all things mythology, not just Greek, but Roman, Egyptian, Persian, and everything else from Norse to Indigenous mythologies. It's just so much fun! Especially with this series, and how this author takes these larger than life figures from mythology and doesn't shrink them or make them too different. They are still gods. BUT, a lot of the myths are re-told by Riordan in a way that is actually…believable. Believable is the word I need to say because when you read this series, the explanation of the myths and how they fit into todays world of gadgets/teenagers + attention deficits is actually quite brilliant and magical.

I know I like to think myths are real sometimes. So let's say (for a moment) we indulge in that fantasy. Say Greek Gods were real and they had their own Roman counterparts [since Roman gods basically took their ideas from the Greek gods and tweaked them to fit their culture]. *Aw, Rome, you know I ain't mad at cha* :k But yeah, say they were real and had their own counterparts somewhere else like in Rome. Gaea (aka, mother earth) waking-up and nosing around after all these millennia being asleep is making things go whacko. That's the plot of this spin-off in a nutshell.

Now that you know what I'm fangirl-ing about, I can tell you (fans and not-yet-fans alike) why this book made me so happy (..yet incredibly sad) :c

The sad part:



I JUST DON'T WANT IT TO BE OVER. You all know how it feel to have those "few" series,  no I mean really….1 or 2 cremè de la cremè of the series crop that just *shines bright like a diamond* That is what Percy Jackson is to me. It's just that series that keeps me warm inside when I'm in a life slump and just feel like everything sucks.

The Happy Part(s)


-ACTION-PACKED (but not over packed). I admit I was a bit scared there would be too much action in this, as it's the final book in a series that is a spin-off of a series. Ultimately settling once and for all the Prophecy of Seven. 

-SO. MUCH. HAPPY FEELS. 

-Characters, Characters, Characters: (with plenty of snark + badass-ery in a variety of forms)
Of course I gotta hand it to Riordan, it's tough to finish a series where there are SO MANY amazing CHARACTERS That just…everyone loves. People have their favorites! I just love Percy (duh) Annabeth (yep) but I also have a soft spot for Leo. He's just so lovable and reminds me a lot of my brother. I liked how he was so different. In fact, I can't even compare him to any other MG/YA male hero. But more on that maybe below. I don't necessarily wanna go on a detailed character run-down, but I have to say a few things: 

Percy : the confident, snarky, heart of a lion hero
AND
Leo: the self-deprecating, genius, tinker, softie

…if you don't know this series I'm hoping these brief descriptions can help you picture just the kind of juxaposition I'm talking about here. This is just two of the male characters. There is Frank and Jason ..of course we can't forget NICO either.
Nico, I was so concerned about him  during and after House of Hades and in this book he was just, wonderful. I really love Nico and I was worried a bit about his welfare throughout the book, but I do love how he handles things (in general) and I liked how he had developed a brother sister bond with Reyna. Which brings me to...
The girls! well, they are all hella awesome. I felt like the last book was more about Piper and I really do love Piper. Hazel is also really developed in the last few books. Annabeth really formed close friendships with all the girls, and I loved the scenes with her and Hazel in this book.

Saying Goodbye is hard
I mentioned I put off reading this because I just didn't want to let go. So, I was definitely dreading the end. I didn't want any spoilers so I just stayed off of twitter and avoided the reviews like the plague (except Melanie's I just had to look at yours but I swear to god i had my hands over my eyes…even tho I totally knew she wouldn't have any spoilers in her review).

Riordan has my grown-ass peek-a-boo reading and shit.

Only Riordan can have me THIS careful to avoid spoilers. I was sure there would be some awful ending and I'd have read it on twitter by accident and ruined my life.

I could forever write about this book, but I won't do that (to you). Let me just say: this was an excellent final book. I felt like it had just the right amount of action and character development. I do wish I had some more time with different characters, but I realize that is kind of impossible hard because it would feel disjointed with too many different POVs and I don't want to be greedy  because I had Percy for so like 5 books and yeah. I would've like more from Nico's POV though, and I really really really hope we get a glimpse into the future in some form or another (like a HP type thing). But, knowing Riordan I bet that he will write a short story and include it in his upcoming series or some shit like that.

I'm gonna miss these characters. I'm already planning to re-read this series. It's the best mythologically-based young adult/middle grade series I've ever read. The combination of Greek and Roman mythology in this Heroes of Olympus series was simply genius and I am a fan for life of Rick Riordan.

I recommend this book to everyone who likes mythology and great storytelling. 

-Diamond

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. I have not read that far in this series, but I did love the books I read. Glad you were happy about the way things turned out!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  2. HSFADGJNEGKNKNGONEGLNIWNKLNG ghiwhWwhjnbnJONWHN4YWRHGQWNJE

    You understand what I just said, riiiiight?

    But seriously though, you are so spot on girl! This book totally broke my heart because I'm still so not accepting that this series is finished--and Rick Riordan is truly the best for giving us a somewhat open ending. I know a lot of people didn't like the ending and said that I was being completely dismissive of how "bad" this book was in my review but I don't see how the ending was disappointing. I mean, as a last instalment, I guess it's a little less amazing than the rest of the series but that ending was EXACTLY what I needed--what I think most of us fans need. An ending where the doors aren't completely closed on us.

    Brilliant review, girl <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS MEANS SO MUCH TO MEEEE
      I am glad you agree with me about the ending! I really felt like, you know, it's not as "epic" as some of the others, but I think that's what we needed, as fans. I couldn't take (my heart would burst) if it was an open cliffhanger. I feel like it leaves things open which I think he DID FOR A REASON?!?! I think I see like other books crossing over, because I need to have those characters (in some form) pop up in the future, you know?
      I loved your review too…and I hadn't finished yet when I read it so I should go back and read it again now that I've finished! It really was so hard for me to get through this because I didn't want to say goodbye :c but I love Riordan so much for giving this to us and Percabeth and ahhhh I could go on and on.. lol YOU KNOW.
      and yes, I understood, completely what you said in that first line!! haha >.<

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!