Monday, January 12, 2015

Suggestions for a WOULD-BE graphic novel reader (Part II)

So here's my continuation post for my recommendations of great graphic novels to read for those of you who are new to graphic novels, or even just those looking for some good recommendations! ^_^ I've organized it based on what genres your tend to prefer and enjoy! I have read all of these, and highly recommend them. Click on the book cover or title to be taken to the goodreads page.

Science-Fiction / Dystopia

FRAY by Joss Whedon
You DON'T need to know Buffyverse at all to read this! 
A Vampire Slayer in the future fights monsters in her futuristic world.


Fantasy

Memorial by Roberson/Ellis
Memorial is the story of Em, a young woman who arrives at a hospital in Portland, Oregon, with no memory of her past. A year later, she has rebuilt her life, only to find her existence thrown into turmoil after she inherits a magical shop and is drawn into a supernatural conflict between beings that not only represent, but are, fundamental elements of the universe itself! 


Classics


Shakespeare's King Lear by Gareth Hinds
The most beautiful graphic novel renditions of Shakespeare are done by this man. Each is different stylistically, this one is very whimsical and uses a lot of pale colors that remind me of watercolor. It's gorgeous and beautifully written. The pages have inspired me to use in my multi-media projects :tup

Young Adult 

Blue Bloods Graphic Novel by Melissa de la Cruz / Vendetti

My Thoughts

I loved this rendition of Blue Bloods in graphic novel form. It was so fun, and actually really felt authentic to the book. In some ways I enjoyed it more than the book :$ Part of me wished I hadn't read the book so I could just enjoy it in this medium. If you haven't read this book I suggest trying the graphic novel first. I even felt that the characters were more likable/hateable when I could see them in their stylized graphic glory

It's not often that I read a young adult graphic novel version of a book I've already read. I usually have bad experiences with them (and I've heard this is the general consensus on the issue as of 2013, but more on that in a future post). 
I liked the things it did successfully: stayed true to the author's vision (hence her name on the cover, she was very involved), clean editing of the text, as well as an uncanny depiction of the appearance of the characters!! LEGIT.  I need to recommend this for those of you out there who love YA books and/or Blue Bloods series, want to see some of their favorite characters drawn and reread.

**What do you think of my second round of graphic novel recommendations? I have more coming! I'm so happy so many of you commented and showed your support so I think I'll make this a semi-regular feature! :L 

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

7 comments :

  1. King Lear in graphic novel form? Lear is pretty much one of the only Shakespeare plays that I can stand (that and Hamlet). I'd be so curious about how this is translated into a graphic work! And that Blue Bloods rec. I'm not a Cruz fan, tbh, but you seemed to REALLY enjoy this one! Brilliant recommendations, Diamond! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! and it's really good! I WISH i could loan it to you!! ahh...the constraints of international shipping lol. but I did really like it. If you are super interested, I can take pictures of some of the pages and send it to ya to see if you think it's your style. I really love King Lear as well. I like Shakespeare but of all his tragedies this is one of my favorites too :D '
      Thanks Jess ;D

      Delete
  2. I've thought about getting into graphic novels. Although, honestly I have way too many books to read and things I want to do so I don't really need anything more. My boys would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Fray! But then I think I love just about anything by Whedon. I'm going to have to check out Memorial soon. It sounds great! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Fray! But then I think I love anything by Whedon. I'm going to have to check out Memorial. It looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fray looks really badass. I would totally read that. It also looks like something that would make a really good tv series. hmmmm.... Joss Whedon...

    I have not read the Blue Blood series yet, so I'm definitely going to check out the graphic novel first. Thanks for the heads up, Diamond! LOVE these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah it TOTALLY WOULD MAKE A BADASS TV SERIES. I think the Whedonites have already had that same idea and I'm sure somewhere it's in the making or ….pre-making whatever.
      The blue bloods series is okay. It has good and bad parts. I like it enough to have read the first three books. But, I think if you like graphic novels it goes down easier perhaps in that medium (if that makes sense)
      THANKS for checking this post out and I'm glad you love it :D

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!