January 10, 2015

Dee's Creations: How a DIY Confetti Frame reignited my Artsy/Crafty side

Hi guys :D I hope you are all doing well in 2015! This may be the first post in a feature/more to come about my creative exploits as an artist / creative person who recently got back into arty things. I have been wanting to share some of my art with you guys for a long time now. I kept saying I would but I didn't. I was chicken. It's hard to put your art out there for the whole world to see critique. But the time for chickens is over, I'm so excited about my new projects, and because they're very DIY-y I thought I'd start from the beginning and share with you the first project I did two months ago that got me BACK into the whole artistic / creative / late nights of artist fervor - thing. :e


The first thing I did was a DIY "Confetti Frame." I love this idea and I got inspired by the beautiful blog post @ A Pair and a Spare: DIY Confetti Filled Frame. ^see their creation in the photo above^
I wanted to make mine a bit less simple, for a friend of mine. As a book lover hoarder, you'd be surprised how many excellent images you have right at your disposal*. I found a cute little "friends are forever" book at the used bookstore I volunteer at. It was old (falling apart, and had no illustrator I can credit). The colored images with the best messages written on each page. I brought it home, made a color copy, and followed (more or less) the instructions given in the post I linked to above. Hand cutting confetti is very easy!

It looked so nice on my shelf it was hard to part with, but alas, it was meant for my friend. She loved it and that was the first project that inspired me to be more creative OUTSIDE my usual medium. Using DIY sites and Pinterest always seemed cool to me, and I would bookmark here and there but never DID anything, because it also seemed so hard. I'm glad when I found this post I realized it couldn't be that hard (could it?) lol..seriously though, it wasn't!


Little did I know this little craft project would open the floodgates of creativity and propel me to watercolor, paint, mod podge, and even arrange fake flowers in a vase. But more on that in a later post :) I'm just happy to be back at my art and artish hobbies. Even if it keeps me up until 4am most nights *yawn* ;)


SO what do you think? Would you make a confetti frame? Any DIY / crafty followers out there? Do you get inspired by crafty blogs and pinterest?


^I know it's hard to see, sorry about the quality. My iPhone camera has been disappointing me lately.

*Note: Please be advised when using books/images from books that copyright laws should be respected. I usually use books/images that are now in public domain and extremely old. If the image is newer or even older but not public domain/ i'm unclear I give credit on the back of my piece to the illustrator. Please look up the laws in your country. My policy is to always give credit, no matter what. It's hard though when there is no one to give credit too, in which case (like above) I just state that I used the image and it is not my own.*


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

14 comments :

  1. That's such a lovely DIY and a sweet gift! :D It looks really good.

    I may try it out once I have some space on my shelf, or if I find something really nice to put in the frame. Like maybe a photo of me in the snow or something! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana!! You should TOTALLY try it out!! Let me know if you do I have some pointers and it's so easy you should! It's so cute I want one for myself lool

      Delete
  2. Look at you and all that creativity! I'm horrendous at DIY projects. I have no creativity to give in that aspect. But look at your frame. It looks absolutely marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, Thanks Jess :$
      I do have creative bursts...I used to be creative all the time now it comes in bursts...and I gotta be prepared when it does or boom it's gone lol ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow I love it! Like Jess, I'm totally horrid at DIY things. I mess everything up and then I just get really frustrated with myself and start wondering why the heck mine doesn't look like the one in the pictures hahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL awww, poor Mel! I know what you mean, there are a LOT of projects like that I see that I won't even try because whoa, hard. But, there are some easy ones (believe it or not). Like Sharpie on a Dollar Store plain ceramic white mug with a book quote! Voilá! Haven't tried that one yet though, so maybe I'll wait to say it's easy until I finish >.<

      Delete
  4. Love this! I actually love sewing, crafting, etc, but don't do it enough. I really have too many hobbies, if there is such a thing. :) I avoid Pinterest most of the time because it tends to suck me in and then I wake up and it's another century or something. Lol! Glad your creative streak was reignited. :D

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THERE IS SUCH A THING AS TOO MANY HOBBIES, TRESSA. I know because I have too many! lol! Book blogging in itself is like 3 hobbies in one! Blogging, Writing for fun, AND reading!! ha! :L But I love just being crafty and it relaxes me. I'd love o see your stuff sometime :D

      Delete
  5. Oh hey you are so right book blogging is three hobbies in one! I am so happy this project inspired you to get back into arts and crafts! Isn't it marvelous fun!? Your confetti frame is so adorable, you found such a perfect image to go inside. You make me want to create one!! I totally think I will now!! Thanks so much for thinking to link up. I can't wait to see more of your art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES it is definitely fun! I am so glad to be back in the groove :D It just makes me feel a lot better overall. I'm glad I got to link up, I'll do more link ups in the future too :)
      You should def make one Tabitha! and if you do, tweet me a link/picture so I can check it out

      Delete
  6. Sorry I'm only getting to comment now. I saw this original on my phone but I can't comment on blogger blogs with my phone so I had to wait until I was on the laptop. But I was so excited when I saw it. I love your creative/artistic side and I'm glad you got the confidence to show it off!
    It's fab and I love the idea of using images from books and like you say once they are old enough to be in the public domain that should be fine. Can't wait to see what else you will blog about in this feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Trish. that is very sweet of you <3 I'm glad you like the idea of using images too! People use like shapes and stuff but….i mean…book illustrations are just so awesome lol.

      Delete
  7. That is so adorable. If I had a confetti frame, I'd probably be shaking it all the time. XD It would be cool if it doubled up as a picture frame as well! Double the reason to have one in my room. And yet, I don't see myself making one, as I'm already trying to motivate myself to draw more. - le sigh- Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah I felt like shaking it all the time lol. it can totally double up as a picture frame! Sounds like you need to make one now lol ;) OR just draw and then put your drawing in there …

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!