January 2, 2015

Suggestions for the WOULD-BE graphic novel reader (Part I)

So a few of you lovely followers have commented that you want to start reading graphic novels. For whatever reason, you're stuck/apprehensive/scared/bleh/etc? For me, five years ago I thought graphic novels were "dumb" (I didn't get them--I was dumb). Well, I never really knew what they were either lol. Once I gave it a shot though, I was hooked. i just didn't know where to begin. Since I doubt all of you happen to have a comic book shop a block away walking distance, with a staff whose greatest passion is making suggestions for comics--I'm gonna step in. :P
As a YA lover, lover of classics and adult fic I HOPE I can give you a general view of where you should begin on your graphic novel plunge. This is just a small taste, since I realized there's no way I can do this in one post even with 1 rec per genre. So there will be more to come..

I have read ALL of these, so they have my stamp of approval and you can ask me/discuss bother with me as much as you want :O

Fiction:
Habibi by Craig Thompson
One of the most deeply moving and complex novels I've ever read. It's a favorite.
Click cover to be taken to GR page

Memoir:
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
I read this memoir earlier in the year. Great story! 
See my Review for more info :)

Fantasy:
Sandman by Neil Gaiman - Volume 1
Vol. 1: PRELUDES & NOCTURNES: an occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother Dream instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, also known as Morpheus, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. On his arduous journey Morpheus encounters Lucifer, John Constantine, and an all-powerful madman. 
Arguably the most well-known graphic novel series of all time
I recommend reading the first Volume to see if you like it. I definitely recommend it for not only fans of Gaiman, but fantasy fans and those who like a good story. [click the cover to be taken to the GR page.]

--Stay tuned for the next post where I recommend great sci-fi, historical, YA, more fiction/fantasy, and great picks for different fandoms! 

*all descriptions (in italics) taken from Goodreads*
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

16 comments :

  1. I love this, I have been wanting to read Graphic Novels and like you said I don't know where to start. The only one I've read so far is A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and I loved it. These all look great especially Sandman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad u like this post! I know it's a bit short, but I have more to come! Sandman IS awesome, especially for fantasy lovers .. And Habibi is really a moving story you would like Trish, due to your love of great stories and the occasional cry :c lol this one had me tearing up but still, with my aversion to sad stories it remains an all time favorites!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a graphic novel reader just because I find it so hard to get into them. I think the only thing I read was Astrix and Obelix but I think that counts as a comic, right? But I love you suggestions and I checked out Habibi on GR. I'm going to bookmark this just in case the desire ever comes up in the future to give graphic novels a go. Fantastic post, Diamond! AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT NEXT POST! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It counts! Graphic novels are just a collection of comics, or in so,e cases full novels released as such. Usually they're all released as issues weekly then gathered together as a graphic novel, like the sandman. But, Persepolis was an actual novel yet it was split in two (the version above is both together). If you give graphic novels a go I would give you some personal rec's! I definitely think you'd like Sandman. RU a Gaiman fan! I forget.. :P

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to read Persepolis -- wish I could read it in French, but yeah... not happening.
    Happy New Year!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh dayumm that would be so hard! Yeah you totally have to read it! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the great suggestion! I am doing Book Riot's Read Harder challenge and one of the categories is graphic novel. Since I am clueless about graphic novels, I had no idea where to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you're welcome! :$ I would be glad to give you more specific ones if you'd like! Shoot me a tweet. I'll be posting wayyy more I just wanted to start with a few :)

      Delete
  5. Wah, this post is great. The only graphic novel I've read are the ones by Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese)....which are awesome. I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan, so I think that'd be a good graphic novel to read before branching more into the genre. Interested to see your future posts :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! If you're a huge Gaiman fan you need to start with Sandman! Although, you could read any of his books in graphic novel form.. Like if your fav is Coraline, I heard the graphic novel is spooky as hell :@ lol and thanks! My next post is already scheduled for early next week

      Delete
  6. I had to read the first Persepolis for class this year and while I liked the issues, and themes, and loved 3 of the graphic squares. I honestly really really disliked it, mostly because of the writing and plot. However, I know I am in the minority for disliking it.

    I've been thinking about trying Sandman though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I'm so so curious as to why you disliked it? I know the plot can be dry .. Especially bc Im guessing you don't have family that immigrated during the revolution she described. It's completely out of my normal genre, and I hate memoirs, the only reason I think I loved it So much was at it is a history Im personally connected to bc my mom fled for the US during that time, but the character stayed, :$
      Definitely read Sandman! If you do, lmk how you like it!

      Delete
    2. I liked the themes and a lot of little moments along the way, but I felt like the plot kind of got monotonous and there was some info dumping, but at least it was helpful. I didn't like her writing and I am not quite sure why. I think I disliked the fact that it was really simple, but at the same time her diction often didn't really fit for the age of her character at that point in time, and didn't really grow with her, but it felt like it was supposed to fit the age of her character. I can't quite put my finger on it. That is really amazing. Things are a lot different when you have a personal connection. I appreciate it more now that we are analyzing it, but I didn't particularly enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  7. AHH YOU'RE READING THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS ENJOY DIAMOND xD

    I am not a graphic novel reader but I have read TinTin...*whispers* that counts...right? Anyway, these are some great recs--I'll know where to go if I am thinking of reading some graphic novels!

    Great post, girl <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MEL!!! :h
      YES I"m reading BLOOD OF OLYMPUS AND TAKING MY SWEET SWEET TIME SAVORING IT :k LOL I just don't want it to ends

      Delete
  8. I really need to finish the Sandman series. I think I made it up to volume 3 before I got distracted with other shiny things. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!