Thursday, January 08, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore, Kevin O' Neill, Ben Dimagmaliw, Bill Oakley

Source: Paperback (my collection)
My Rating3.5 of 5 stars  :star :star :star 1/2
Publisher/dateVertigo | Oct. 1st, 2000

London, 1898. The Victorian Era draws to a close and the twentieth century approaches. It is a time of great change and an age of stagnation, a period of chaste order and ignoble chaos. It is an era in need of champions. In this amazingly imaginative tale, literary figures from throughout time and various bodies of work are brought together to face any and all threats to Britain. Allan Quatermain, Mina Murray, Captain Nemo, Dr. Henry Jekyll and Edward Hyde and Hawley Griffin ( the Invisible Man) form a remarkable legion of intellectual aptitude and physical prowess: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

My Review 

This was pretty hard to rate, I'm hovering between a 3.5 and 4. I'm settling on a 3.5 just because of a few issues: one is the hype the other is personal preference regarding female characters.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen first appeared in my vision several years ago when I first began perusing my local comic book shop. I remeber seeing the full hardcover book, gloriously displayed on the shelf. I had no idea what I was looking at except that it seemed to be Victorian/ish England and the characters struck a chord of familiarity within me. When inquiring further I learned it was a fairly popular graphic novel that has famous characters joining together to form a sort of team of "good guys" to protect England with their unique gifts.

There's the famous Alan Quartermain; Rider Haggard's creation in King Solomon's Mine (Opium addict? Grey-haired fox with impeccable aim?) and the Leader of the pack--Wilhemina Murray. If that doesn't sound familiar; think: DRACULA. No? Well, she's the best friend of Lucy in the Dracula story. I prefer to picture her as she was in the movie Bram Stoker's DRACULA by Francis Ford Coppola. She was played (beautifully) by a young and vibrant Winona Ryder. The Invisible Man (rapist? Or horny misunderstood good-guy?), the infamous Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and mysterious Captain Nemo make up the rest of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Moriarty Holmes and a "Mr. Bond" make up minor characters ..which, I gotta say..I love Moriarty as a villian.

Mina carried this book for me. She's the only woman. We don't know her backstory (well, formally). Nor do we known WHY she was chosen to be the leader of the League of extraordinary Gentleman! But I love that. She puts up with a lot, and her sarcastic and suave air was pretty fun to read. she was this strong character throughout the whole novel....until the last few pages. With
impending doom ...do you really have to beg a man to comfort you in some way? I mean, ok, I get it. BuT there was no hint to how she felt prior, besides a flirtation. I don't know, it made me disappointed. :|| I als was a bit bummed as to why everyone's "extraordinary abilities" were reveled--except hers. All I have to say is, it better be in the next volume!

I had a bit of a head start as far as knowing the plot because I have seen th movie (same title) with Sean Connery as Alan Quartermain. DORIAN Gray was in the movie, but not this volume. Not sure
if he appears later? We will see because I already have the next volume (thanks to a Barnes and Noble sale I got it free ;))

The graphics were stunning, the story is winding and leaves you calculating and guessing as to why scraps are left unanswered. :8


Amidst an array of familiar characters taken from gothic and sci--fi lit, it's kind of a perfect graphic novel for book lovers who crave adventure yet familiarity. 




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. I'm so intrigued, especially by the cast of members! I think I may go ahead and search out the movie though! I love the sound of Mina! Sarcasm paves a path to my heart haha Lovely review, dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally check out the movie! It's cheesy but I like it haha. Go into it thinking you want to watch a cheesy action movie, and you'll be happy. Lol. Kinda like when u wanna read a cheesy book or light book ;)

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of Mina and the entire concept is pretty dang cool,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh set in London in the 1800's?! I am interested in this one already omg! I do adore sarcastic characters, so I'll definitely keep a close eye on this one.

    Fantastic review, love <33

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!