December 29, 2014

End of the Year Book Survey 2014


The 2014 End of the Year Book Survey is created and hosted by the Perpetual Page Turner. I also used her lovely images! 


Number Of Books You Read: 114

Number of Re-Reads:

Genre You Read The Most From: Middle Grade 




Best Book You Read In 2014?

I have to break this down by genre..lol
Middle Grade: House of Hades by Rick Riordan
Young Adult: The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan
Adult: Discovery of Witches/Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
Graphic Novel: Afterlife with Archie (zombies + Riverdale = awesome)

Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire. So excited. Such a let down.... :|

Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 

The Fourteenth Goldfish. Surprisingly excellent, I normally don't "love" contemporary, especially young middle grade contemps. I wasn't expect it to have so much of that illusive factor that makes a book great. 


Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

Best sequel: The Iron Traitor (wow..just..wow..) by Julie Kagawa
Best series ender: The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons: The Emerald Shore
Best Series Starter: The Iron Trial by Holly Black & Cassandra Clare.

Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

The most recent "push" was for Exquisite Captive. I just reviewed it, so I don't know if a lot of people will actually read it. But saying they will counts for me :D


Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

Holly Black! I loved Doll Bones. I also read her short stories and her collab w/ Iron Trial was fab. I did start Coldest Girl in Coldtown but had to put it away...although the writing was fab. :P


Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

The Athena Effect by Derrolyn Anderson. I don't read Indie much anymore, but I'm so glad I read this because it was amazing. It was a paranormal thriller which is a genre I don't  don't read much of. 


Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant. 





Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Probably House of Hades. I foresee myself rereading the entire series next year :)


Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014? 

I have to say A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray was my favorite cover. It's sooo beautiful..

Most memorable character of 2014?

Zephyr from Promise of Shadows. She's the more memorable harpy I've ever encountered. Seriously. 

Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

This may surprise you but the most beautifully written book was A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It was my first Sherlock Holmes story and I was astounded (yes) by how well-written it was. It included a whole latter chapter / section that I was not expecting that honestly blew me away. It was like a novel...full and rich and I felt so much for these characters..in only half of the short story Doyle had me feeling as if I had read and rooted for these people for 300 pages. :tup

Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

The Picture of Dorian Graby Oscar Wilde. There is a reason it's a classic. Pretty much the whole thing is nonstop genius. :b


Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. (Frostbite, and Blood Promise too) Why did I wait so long?!? xP



Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. For surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never become your weakness."   -Game of Thrones by George RR Martin


Shortest and Longest Book You Read In 2014?

Shortest: Starcrossed City (Starcrossed .5) by Josephine Angelini (9 pgs)
Longest: A Game of Thrones (819 pgs)


Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)

I'm gonna cheat with this because it was the entire series of the Witches of East End. If I had to pick one I'd say the final book, Winds of Salem by Melissa de la Cruz. 


OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

PERCABETH! :rainbow 
(AKA: Percy Jackson +  Annabeth Chase)
-in case you don't know (for shame!) they are in Rick Riordan's series. :L

Percabeth Fan Art: click for source

Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

The friendship between Isolde and her best friend/servant/sister (it's complicated) in Philippa Gregory's young adult historical fantasy series. Order of Darkness (book 2): Stormbringers.




Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.   Gaiman has, as of this year, reached the "favorite authors" position. This year I read several of his books. (roughly 5) :b *bows*


Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) by Terry Pratchett
Denise pressured me and has read ALL of Pratchett's books. I finally caved and I admit I was curious too... I'm really glad I did. I read three books by Pratchett this year ;)


Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

Finn from Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White. *fans self* hawwwttt :k Seriously crushin' on him..
Paul (From A Thousand Pieces of You) is also my fictional boyfriend, so..yeah. :k

Best 2014 debut you read?

I have to say Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. It was so dark and thrilling. I'm glad that it got recognition and won the GR Choice for Best Debut :O


Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong. It had a dark atmosphere; slightly dystopia due to lots of scarcity yet it was old (villages) and had magic (forests of death, anyone??) Pretty damn good world-building, imo. 


Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

The Luck Uglies by Paul Durham! I had a smile plastered on my face throughout that amazing book.

Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

I teared up at the end(ish) of Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper :c


Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine. It's a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. Although in the same time period, it's completely different! It shares the viewpoint from Rosalind and also Mercutio (Romeo's friends). I don't know why but it seems like it got overlooked. It was on of my favs. 


Book That Crushed Your Soul?

YAMistwalker by Saundra Mitchell. Oh my heart and soul just... *ache*

Adult: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (memoir/graphic novel) Extremely soul-crushing in a real way.


Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

YA: The Fall by Bethany Griffin. It was so dark and such a unique retelling, I know some didn't get it, but I loved the hell out of it.
MG: Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy. SO UNIQUE. and beautiful..
--I had to mention one for each genre.--

Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Awakened (House of Night) by P.C.Cast : I didn't hate it, I just got SUPER pissed bc I feel like they keep recycling then lot at this point and yet Im 8 or 9 now books invested and I just have to finish.o that pissed me off. Lol. 



New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?

Jess @ The Reading Dress!  I can't believe I hadn't discovered her blog earlier?! We have a lot in common (like rarely reading contemporary!) :L And I just had that sort of "click" feeling with her. (I have no idea if she feels the same, in which case this is going to be super awkward :$ lol

Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?

My favorite review was for Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times. It got published (my first published review!) in Middle Shelf Magazine!


Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

The post where I discuss Age-Defying Genres

Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

This year I got to attend for the second time the OCCBF Orange County Children's Book Festival! It was amazing, I got to meet so many great authors. One of them being

Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?

Well I reached over 500 Bloglovin' followers recently! :party This makes the TOTAL followers at 1,000 ish. :party I'm super stoked for that! I also have been hovering around 1,000 facebook likes.
This makes me happy because I'm not one to TRY to get more follows, per say, I like to have authentic ones who follow and continue to follow because they like my content. I really hope I have achieved that which is fantastic :e

Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

The Discussion post: How do you Blog when your schedule is packed? I can see why it's so popular. It's an issue that literally every book blogger has/will deal with at some point (or many!)

Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I am actually pretty satisfied with all the LOVE I get :L :L

Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

The Last Bookstore in Los Angeles downtown is one I discovered this year.. so big and glorious. Literally an entire floor labyrinth of discounted books. Plus they sell yarn. :?


Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I completed my Goodreads Challenge again this year! I met my goal and surpassed it - by reading 14 more than 100 books :O
I didn't do as well on the Series Challenge, only completing 4 series. But, I DID complete the Book Bingo Challenge again this year. It was really fun. It encouraged me to reread all the Harry Potters!


See all my challenge progress HERE



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

Percy Jackson's Guide to Greek Gods! I know that I will be expecting it in the mail soon and I can't wait to read the mythology through Percy (ala Rick Riordan's) dry wit and sarcastic humor--all within the world of the Olympians.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

This is really hard. It's a tie between Rick Riordan's new series release, called The Sword of Summer. AND A Cold Legacy / Dead of Winter. :$

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Red Queen! Most definiteily

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

The Wondrous and the Wicked by Page Morgan! I can't wait to find out how the series ends!!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

Reading Life: I hope to read more freely, more spontaneous. I want to read some of the MANY books I have bought and popular series that always get pushed to the back because of review books.
Blogging Life: I want to start the search for a co-blogger / contributor. I'm willing to change my blog quite a bit too.
*Stay tuned for post(s) about this! Feel free to email me right now if you're interested & wanna get ahead of the game

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

I haven't read any yet! *runs and hides*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAD A GREAT YEAR. :party IF YOU READ THIS WHOLE THING (EVEN SKIMMED IT) I'M PROUD OF YOU. :h 


Leave a comment with links to your recap / survey posts and I will check them out 

LET'S DO THIS, 2015! :mj

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

10 comments :

  1. I love that you are feeling so happy about your blog and your followers right now. And I agree it's not about the numbers but it's about the actual chats and real comments, that's what really feels good :)
    A Thousand Pieces of You is my fav cover of the year too and I haven't even read it yet. That and Illusions on Fate are very high on my must read ASAP!
    Loved your recap, I keep thinking of doing one but then I think...no...too much work! :D Really enjoyed reading yours though! Hope 2015 is as good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! You need to read those asap! :tup! I know...these posts ARE a lot of work, but I don't do weekly recaps anymore and felt I needed to do this. It helps me a lot, I see, to forget all the different books I read in one year ^_^
      Thanks for the encouragement about my blog <3

      Delete
  2. WOOOOOOHOO DEBORAH HARKNESS. WE SHARE AN ALL SOULS BOND OK. THIS IS SO RARE AND I LOVE IT AND GAH <333

    Yesss the A Thousand Pieces of You cover is just STUNNING. Easily one of my favourite covers ever. That begin said, cover 2 HAS A LOT OF EXPECTATIONS TO MEET!

    OMG AND YESSS TO DORIAN GRAY. That book changed pretty much everything for me, especially the way I view fiction. AND THEN I KINDA BECAME WILDE OBSESSED :D

    You and Mel and your Percabeth ship. I ADORE YOUR ENTHUSIASM <333

    I'll admit, I teared up at the end of Salt and Storm as well. How anyone kept a straight face is beyond me.

    YOU NEED RED QUEEN IN YOUR LIFE. YOU DO. THAT BOOK. IT'S RUINED ME.

    AND OMG I LOVE YOU DIAMOND OK. You're an absolute sweetheart AND I am so glad that I met you. You're definitely not alone. I FEEL THE CLICK TOO OK. Thank you for being an absolutely AMAZING friend. So much love for you. I'm sending virtual hugs. One day we'll have to meeeet! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh red queen ruined you?! Ok I'm so excited but now I'm a bit scared lol >.<

      I LOVE You too! Than you for everything, and all your support and well thought out words and comments <3 xo

      Delete
  3. Messenger of Fear is on my TBR! Glad to hear it was so great. I also discovered Holly Black this year and I am so glad I did. I love her and can't wait to read The Darkest Part of the Forest, which comes out January 13 I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a few books in common. I also wrote down a couple of titles that you mentioned. I'm glad you had such a great reading year!
    Here is my survey. I had to shorten it a bit because kids were a bit impatient... lol
    Laura
    My Survey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh I bet and I know how that is ;)
      Thanks for checking mine out! Glad you found a few titles to add to your TBR :)

      Delete
  5. We agree about SO many books. I've added a few new-to-me books to my wish list.

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that! :tup
      happy new year to you too!! ^_^

      Delete
  6. OMG PERCY JACKSON'S GREEK GODS HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE READ THAT YET READ IT NOOOOOW GIRL, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

    ALSO, HI FIVE BECAUSE WE BOTH CHOSE PERCABETH AS OUR OTP xD

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!