December 27, 2014

DNF Review [Graphic Novel]: The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act l by Kieron Gillen


The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen
Source: eARC via Netgalley | Image Comics
My rating: 1 of 5 stars :star
Published: November 12th, 2014

Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever. 


My Review
I had super high expectations for this.
UNFORTUNATELY,
I did not understand it at ALL. I triple checked, Yes, it's Volume 1. If it's Volume 1, I don't understand why it just jumps in to a scene (it's a seance) from the first page with NO explanation WHATSOEVER.

*scratches head* I've asked myself everything from "maybe you should keep reading?" to "Maybe you're just stupid and you don't understand what's going on because you're D-U-M-B?" Whatever the answer is, this is the only review I can write. I feel like I did have enough to say for a mini review, so bear with me while I explain what happened with this graphic novel situation.

I hate having to DNF. At the same time, it can't be helped sometimes, especially when you read often. I just didn't understand what the heck was going on. The only good thing about it was that it had great illustrations. But due to the extreme lack of comprehensive dialogue and no introduction of characters..ugh I just was very sad to have to DNF this. :c

I -may- come back to it, but I don't know how that would happen since it my copy expired. :x Also, I wouldn't buy it but if I came across it at a library I would maybe try it again. I just think the premise is so cool...and the illustrations were amazing..the whole look was great. Hence the 1 star. But, it's a graphic NOVEL and the latter part was nonexistent. Unless there is a prequel I'm missing? (which very well could be!) I just had to shelve this after sitting on it for over one month. :||

(I received a copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review).


-Diamond

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

10 comments :

  1. I HAD HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS ONE AS WELL. It's such a shame that it didn't work out though. It had such potential!

    I hate when things just jump straight in without an explanations. Gah, DNFing is totally understandable. Thanks for the heads up, Diamond! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm glad, because especially knowing that you don't really read graphic novels! I should write up some good ones for a starter into the genre like you ;)

      Delete
  2. My main goal for next year is to try out some new genres with my focus being on graphic novels. I haven't read one before and I am really intrigued! I don't think this one will be on my list though...

    Rachel @ Rachel's Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I was telling Jess, this shouldn't be one to bring you into the genre! I think I'll write a post just for ppl like u who want to start reading GN's! :O
      Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the honest review - & I agree, I always find it hard to mark a book DNF.

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I felt the exact same way! I didn't understand what was going on and generally just felt really stupid while reading this. The illustrations are beautiful but the story? I couldn't follow, and at the end, no questions were answered either.

    I always feel bad when I DNF too but sometimes you just have to. I finished this one and kind of regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating! I hate books that make me feel stupid or wonder why I just can't understand them. At least the illustrations were good! But I agree that's not enough :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about picking this up and ultimately decided it didn't look like it was for me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!