Monday, September 22, 2014

Audiobook Review: Doll Bones by Holly Black

Doll Bones by Holly Black
Source: Audiobook mp3 via LAPL library
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star


Zach, Poppy, and Alice have been friends forever. And for almost as long, they’ve been playing one continuous, ever-changing game of pirates and thieves, mermaids and warriors. Ruling over all is the Great Queen, a bone-china doll cursing those who displease her. But they are in middle school now. Zach’s father pushes him to give up make-believe, and Zach quits the game. Their friendship might be over, until Poppy declares she’s been having dreams about the Queen—and the ghost of a girl who will not rest until the bone-china doll is buried in her empty grave. 

I don't listen to audiobooks very often. I prefer to read, as it's much faster. However, I recently got a new job and I work a lot of hours and drive a lot now. So my reading time has been slashed. I put the audiobook on my phone and plugged it in so I can listen while I drive to the mp3. Man, I love technology! 

This was a great listen. The narrator was superb, and each character sounded different. I put it on 1.25 so I could listen without going crazy with how slow it was haha. Before I knew it I was done! The story was a lot of fun. I loved Zachary and his POV. The fact that three 12 year olds played dolls, and dealt with growing up...all while having a creepy atmospheric vibe?! It was great! I am definitely a huge fan of Holly Black after this. I've read some of her short stories, and I heard this was a good one. I happen to love a good creepy middle grade novel, and this definitely fit the bill. 

I can't recommend it enough. Especially the audiobook. I can't really say exactly why it's not 5 stars, except it maybe didn't have as much of a WOW factor that is necessary for me to give 5. But it was pretty damn good, nonetheless. ^_^



-Diamond

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

12 comments :

  1. Nice! I really enjoyed Doll Bones as well. I especially liked the sassy librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The narrator as well as well done characters sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore Holly, she writes tehe weirdest, creepiest books. And I'm a totally audiobook addict precisely because of my commute, but they also make things like ironing, vacuuming etc so much easier. Plus, sometimes books just work better on audio, depending on the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am becoming a huge audiobook fan myself! And I love Holly Black too :) I'm listening to coldest girl in Coldtown atm

      Delete
  4. This sounds delightful and that cover art is sweet! I've been reading some young readers books and having quite a bit of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Yeah they're so much fun :O

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new job! Audio books are so easy to use, but I just can't.. I need to pick up something from Holly Black, since I liked her anthology I read a while ago.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! And you know. I was introduced to her through a horror anthology as well! That's what made me wanna read her :P crazy!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good read, I love how creepy that cover is too! I never thought of speeding up the audio, I might try that. I listen while driving to and from work as well. It's less depressing than listening to the news! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, u should try it! I read it on a goodreads review and decided I'd try it, bc the only reason was how slow the books would take...and when I speed it up it helps a lot! :) and great for commutes to works

      Delete
    2. I tried last night but I felt it was too fast then. Or my brain was too slow :O

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!