Monday, November 18, 2013

Dust Off Your Classics: Tis the Season...for Edgar Allen Poe


Hi guys *waves* I'm here with an update on the Dust Off Your Classics challenge! If you don't know what that is -- see the details HERE.
After reading Jane Eyre last time, I decided to do something a bit different this time and just read the short stories of Edgar Allen Poe. I admit some of them I have read before, but I wanted to come back and reread them. Poe is the type of classic author I can read over and over again, and I love how his tales are often short, perfect for a bedtime read. Although, it may cause bad dreams! :v muahaha 


Although I've read many Edgar Allen Poe stories; I haven't read all of them. There was one in particular I was itching to re-read -- The Masque of the Red Death! I recently read and reviewed the Masque of Red Death by Bethany Griffin, which was a YA retelling of the original. I did remember his original story, but I wanted to reread it and see how the two compared. It's so short --only 2 pages or so! But it's totally creepy and I loved it more this time :) 

Fun fact: I think Bethany Griffin named the main character Araby because of this quote in the original story: 

“There were arabesque figures with unsuited limbs and appointments. There were delirious fancies such as the madman fashions.” -The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe

The stories I read for the first time was The Oval Portrait and Murders in the Rue Morgue. The Oval Portrait was super short, but memorable. It was really creepy. I'm been amazed over and over again 
about how Poe can write a story (long or short) and make it so scary and chilling! With modern times, and our desensitized culture (of which I am a part)-- he still scares us! I am always in awe of the fact that his stories get under my skin, no matter the age I am when I read them. 
It's quite remarkable, isn't it? 
---
P.S. Don't forget to head over to Trish @ Berween My Lines to read her update! She read Agatha Christie :O
---

Discussion:

 Have you read Poe? Do you like scary stories? If so, which are your favorites (could use some rec's!) If not, do you like short stories? 




- Feel free to join in our challenge! It goes until March and you can read as many or as little classics as you wish! It's probably the most laid back challenge ever :P lol. Join the linky below!


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. I'm sooo bad at reading classics, although I really do want to make it through all of Poe's work at some point. Good luck with your challenge and I have Masque of the Read Death sitting on my Kindle app waiting to be read forever (the re-telling) I should totally get to it already :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you should April! It was a really great book. The sequel, not so much lol but yeah :tup

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen that particular cover before. My husband was telling me earlier that he has this book at his parents house (he loves Poe) so I'm going to make sure to swipe it next time we visit them. I can't wait to read it. I know I've read The Masque of the Red Death but I'm dying to reread it. I'm shocked it was so short, I don't remember that about it. I love books like this that you can dip in and out of. So what classic are you thinking of reading next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I don't remember it being that short either!! :o so crazy. And you def have to reread it, I love Poe.
      Hmm next I'm thinking either a Jane Austen pick, A Scarlet Pimpernel, Picture of Dorian Grey, or Haunting of Hill House., those are what I've narrowed it down to at least, lol. What about you!?

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!