Monday, October 07, 2013

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter SeaThe Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
Source: Library (ebook)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star

The Winter Sea was a beautiful novel. It's centered on a writer and her journey through time as she uncovers her ancestor, Sophie's journey at Slains castle during the Jacobite ordeal of '08.

Although I like historical fiction, I'm not a "history buff." Often I'm incredibly intimidated by history-- because I know so little of it. It's not that I knew little of what the hell the Jacobite ordeal of 08 was, I knew NOTHING of it before I read this book. Now, I know a little. Thing is, at times I felt completely overwhelmed and stupid while reading this book. The history sort of overwhelmed the plot at times, and I felt like I wanted to skip over the confusing names and dates that were piled together like a textbook. I like learning about history-- it can be interesting. But, for me, it can also be overwhelming. I guess that's why it's so difficult to write historical fiction without seeming like a book full of useless details. I found myself eagerly skimming until I could read the chapters set in the present time. The details of Sophie's chapters were just too much. It was like a scale where the balance was tipped and I just wanted it to be steady.

But I can't tell you how much I truly enjoyed the story as a whole. I loved the idea of "genetic memory"-- so fascinating! I also have a weakness for time travel romances that aren't romance romances, if you know what I mean. I liked Graham and Moray both and really enjoyed the romance aspect of the book.

All in all, it was an enjoyable story that broke my heart and then pieced it together again. If you're interested in this period in history, or don't mind some heavy history in small doses-- you'll love this book. I'll be reading more of Kearsley in the future. 


View all my reviews

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. I picked this up for .99 cents last Christmas..lol I love historical, and while it didn't wow you there are aspects I think I would enjoy :) Wonderful review Diamond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I actually think you'd really like this one Kim! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Jacobite ordeal of 08 - yikes I've never heard of it! I love historical fiction but only when I don't feel overwhelmed by all the history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! Now I do te en remember what century it was in. Too many historical tidbits butthestory was fun

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!