Tuesday, October 01, 2013

OC Children's Book Festival Recap


On Sunday I went to my very first book festival! It was the Orange County Children's Book Festival -- I had a great time! I took my niece and nephew, and we had a blast checking out all the different booths.

The main event (for me) was the Young Adult panel. Nancy Holder was the moderator, joined by Stacey Jane and Jessica Brody. I brought my Wicked books for Nancy to sign, and had a great chat with Of Beast and Beauty author Stacey Jay about Buffy! She said her boys asked her why there weren't any female superheroes. Her answer was to introduce them to Buffy! They watched the first two seasons, but she had them stop at Season 3 until they're older (they're 9). Lol. She said when they're 13 they can watch season 3.
Of Beast and Beauty

I was also really happy to win the raffle! I won some YA books. (Pictured somewhat crappily below) 

I do regret some things though. First, I regret not bringing ALL my Nancy Holder books, but she was nice enough to give me her email so she can send me some bookplates! I also regret not buying Of Best and Beauty to have it signed, but all the books were full price.. My other regret is not arriving earlier for pictures! So, I don't have pics of the authors :( Forgive me! 
The books I came home with
But I got a ton of swag that I'll be including in my upcoming Spooktacular giveaway :) And, my next book event will be the Teen Book Fest Oct 12 in downtown Los Angeles library. And you best believe I'll be brining ALL my Josephine Angelini books for her to sign and plenty of money to buy all the books I can! Oh, and I'll make sure to arrive early for pics! Lesson learned.

Nancy Holder signed my copy of Wicked: Resurrection!

This Dark Endeavor and Peter Nimble and his Fantastic Eyes




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

17 comments :

  1. oh wow so many cool books your so lucky wish I could have gone(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! And you came home with lots of pretty good books! And Buffy is great, I didn't grow up with it but when they put it on Much Music every day at 4 o'clock I remember running home from school to watch it. :)

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a blast! Aren't the events fun!!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a great time! I had a great time last night at the Fierce Reads tour (I'll be posting about it tonight)! They had two stops in CA, so you should see if they're coming by you at all. I was hoping they would have a bunch of swag that I could give away on the blog, but they really didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked they're coming to San Diego..but that's two hours away :||

      Delete
  5. Aw, it sounds like you had a great time! I've never been to the OC Book Fest, but it sounds like I should sometime. :) Happy reading!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had a lotta fun! :D thanks for stopping by Wendy!

      Delete
  6. I went to Naughty Mafia in Vegas as my first book event. That was definitely memorable, lol. Glad you had fun! I know we're following each other in our circles, but I'm following your blog too now!

    Here's my link! http://chrissyt83.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Thanks I'll follow your blog back now ^_^

      Delete
  7. That sounds really fun! I don't think we have book festivals like that here in England. :( And if we do I've been missing out on them! The books you won look really good too, have fun reading them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, you won in the raffle! That's cool and you got some great looking books. Thanks for sharing I love hearing all about book events. Interesting to see what you'd do different too, if I ever go to a book event, I'll make note :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is kind of late but.. OMG YOU WENT TO THE OC CHILDREN'S BOOKFAIR! :O I did too! Except I went to later on, to the YA contemporary authors panel, and I missed the fantasy/scifi panel. I actually posted all the books I got a while ago, and the pictures I took with the authors. But yeah, it really did suck that the books were at full price. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg that's so cool you went too! Who spoke at the contemporary panel? *goes and hunts for your post*
      So that means u love nearby I wanna know which book events u attend bc I always seem to miss them! xP

      Delete
    2. I live in Fountain Valley (that's near Huntington Beach). I always miss the events too! :( I heard Mysterious Galaxy has lots of events, but both locations are like 1 or 2 hours away. But at least we can help each other find events, haha.
      Here's the post.

      Delete
    3. I live in Fountain Valley (right next to Huntington Beach). I always miss the events too! I heard Mysterious Galaxy has a lot of events, but both locations are 1 or 2 hours away. :( Well, at least we can alert each other of events now :D

      Here's the post.

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!