October 2, 2013

ARC Graphic Novel Review: Mane Tales Vol. 1



My Little Pony Mane Tales Volume 1 by Thom Zahler
Source: Netgalley 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star


Thank you Diamond Book Distributors for providing me with an ARC copy for review.

I have read both volumes of My little Pony: Friendship is Magic and enjoyed them. The Mane Tales graphic novel is a collection of stories that each focus on one pony in particular-- but feature the other ponies as well. I liked this new approach to the MLP comics and really enjoyed something other than the big group storyline. At the same time, I didn't miss any of the characters since many were in each story.

Of course every story had a different lesson. MLP is always about the lessons, and I like that. It made me laugh out loud, Pinky Pie especially. I really hope they do more Mane Tales. It's something where you could pick up an issue and not miss anything, or read the graphic novel at a leisurely pace like I did. Getting bits of MLP at a time was really nice. It's not better or worse from the Friendship is Magic arc, it's just different



View all my reviews


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. This sounds fun, with teachable moments. My youngest loved My Little Ponies.

    ReplyDelete

  2. It is fun to see MLP back again revamped. My sister loved them when she was little. My daughter is in to them. I need to get a couple of books for her. I am sure she would enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, I didn't know MLP had become a graphic novel! I know - I'm way outdated, but you can't really blame me, because I was never a fan of it in the first place, haha. I'm glad you found it entertaining, though I really don't see any reason for you to feel otherwise, because PONIES. They rock. Even those with tattoos on their butts. Even though I'm not familiar with any of the characters, it's great that none of them were missed out, even though different stories were being told.

    And what kind of lessons do the stories teach? Like, morals?

    Anyway, I hope that they do more Mane Tales - adorable name - just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Immature squeal* MLP IS THEE BEST!

    Great review, hun! <33

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!