September 23, 2013

Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles 1) by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole
Source: My Collection (paperback)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star

WOW.

This was SO good. I wasn't expecting a post-apocalyptic novel; I just thought it was another paranormal romance. Boy, was I wrong. It's crazy different and unique, reminding me of NO book before...with it's dystopian feel..some high school drama and then Evie's crazy powers. She reminded me of Uma Thurman in that batman movie..with all the plant powers. So cool. And the imagery at the end and throughout her visions? Stunning!

I like that Evie's 18 and Jack is a bit older. It made it more realistic when he was all sexually strung up. Haha. And, the romance was really good. Jack is hawt. Great Cajun French accent, and the French was impeccably placed. I know that's difficult to achieve in a novel without isolating the reader or constantly translating. It was perfect and I could almost here his voice murmuring French as I was reading...sigh.

Honestly, the only reason this is 4 instead of 5 stars is because of the way Evie handled her "insanity" in the first 1/3 of the novel. Se never even believed for a serious moment that she was actually experiencing some real shit. Even when she wakes up with blood covered legs, or can see plants bending opposite the wind, or people tell her she smells like roses or honeysuckle but she's not wearing perfume. Etc..etc. she believes everyone but herself. I just found it hard to believe. I couldn't accept it as merely a character flaw. I'm sorry, but I'm familiar with mental illness and I know for a fact of that happened the person would be convinced they were real...or at least consider it seriously and try to remember the details! Gah. Anyways, that was my only qualm with this book and luckily it didn't last too long after (wont say why).

I can't recommend this book highly enough! And, I cannot wait for the sequel! I already have it preordered...I'm glad I didn't read this sooner or I'd be agonizing longer. I can't wait to see what happens with Evie and Jackson.



View all my reviews
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

9 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you liked this book! The cover is actually super misleading. I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed it too. I thought the mythology was really cool and the characters were great.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Loved the mythology! It was so unique! <3

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. What it's a post-apocalyptic novel with paranormal elements and mythology? Gads..I totally dismissed this one...adding to my list, thanks to your stellar review Diamond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :D yeah I had no idea it was post-apocalyptic, and had a crazy cool mythology based on tarot cards

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this book! Finally a book that lives up to it's beautiful cover!
    Great review!!

    DaydreamerN.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, u do! It's SO good... :L and the cover is gorgeous I agree... :O

      Delete
  4. Awesum review Diamond :) I love it when a book blows you away! *adding to my TBR list *

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one on my tbr for a while. Hopefully I'll get to read it and its sequel soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this and I hope to read it someday :) I have tagged you to do the opposite book tag and you can check out my post here: http://abookparadise.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/opposite-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!