Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Review: Blue Bloods by Melissa de La Cruz



Blue Bloods
by Melissa de la Cruz

Source: My Collection (used paperback)
My rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star :tup 3.5 stars 

Wow. What to say about Blue Bloods...I'll make this brief because I don't feel a long review is in order for this book.

Basically we get a beautifully rendered story about the elite group of New Yorkers who are Blue Bloods. Generation after generation they exist and help found society. They're vampires, of course. There's plenty of unique mythology though and the author definitely created a world of her own unlike any vampire book I've ever read. I know I'm incredibly picky when it comes to vampire books. My favorite author is Anne Rice, after all, so my standards are high. What pleases me the most though is creativity. If an author can take a myth like vampires, which has been told and retold for so many years, and make it their own completely-- well, that's impressive. And Blue Bloods had me thoroughly impressed.

My only let down was the lacing. In the beginning I found my progress super slow, I had to force myself to pick the book up. I was interested, but kinda bored at parts. Then, about 1/3 of the way in I couldn't put it down! I finished the majority of the book in one sitting. I'm not sure if it's because it's a new series and a lot had to be established, or what but I know that pacing should the a problem in the sequel.

The sequel? Oh yeah. I know I rated this 3 and a half stars, a little more than a solid “Good”, but I'm definitely going to be reading the next book. I'm so glad I listened to many of my book blogging peers and picked up this start to a wonderfully written vampire series. 


View all my reviews

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

6 comments :

  1. Dropped in for a visit today !

    Joelle @ http://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has been on my book shelf for about 2 years,I have most the books (I think) just waiting to be read.. I'll give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh! You have to pick it up!! You'll be glad you did ;)

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!