August 19, 2013

Review: The Lost Code: Book 1 of the Atlanteans by Kevin Emerson


Source: My collection (paperback)
My rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star

I enjoyed this. But before I get to that, something initially  really bothered me. its the cover. The cover really bothers me-- the girl looks like a total bitch the way she's smirking at the camera. Ugh. But the guy, Owen looks good. :L

Anyways I loved the Atlantis theme, the crazy island, and the dystopian / future aspects of it. Sometimes I'm leery of dystopias because they can be quite dark, gritty, and depressing. However, one of the strong points in this book is that the dystopia feels organic. It actually feels plausible that in the future America will be like that. Burning through the ozone so the sun is super dangerous. Yet I know it sounds depressing, but the way it unfolded was through Owen's POV. His was the only life he knew and he wasn't miserable, he was just a normal guy who tried not to call much attention to himself. Until he grew gills ;)

There wasn't too many politics in this book either; which can be a prominent thing in dystopias too. I'd say it felt more like a good solid adventure/mystery novel. I'll definitely be checking out the next book, although I'm not in a rush to do so.



View all my reviews



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

3 comments :

  1. I giggled about the cover comment, I adore dystopian reads and am delighted to hear the world sounds plausible. Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Atlanteans and the dome city thing caught my eye. I'm not really a fan of that cover, but I'm probably not the target audience anyway so that's OK. :) Sounds like there's some mythology behind it and the premise is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of anything Atlantis, so I will have to give this one a shot! Thanks for sharing your review!

    Laureen @ Ms. Bibliophile.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!