Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA: Classics & Dust off Your Classics RC update


" Today, tell us all the reasons why you love classic literature. What are your favorite classics? If you could give a list of classics to someone who claims to hate them to make them change their mind, what would be on it? How would you convince them to give classics a try? And why do you keep coming back to those old favorites? "

I know many of you dislike classics or just don't "get" their appeal. But, you should give them another chance. There are some really great, funny --like LOL funny-- classics out there! You just need to find the classic that is right for you! Don't worry. I'm here to help ya. :h 
Do you like horror movies? The Macabre? If so, go with Edgar Allen Poe's stories--The Pit and the Pendulum / The Tell-Tale Heart / The Black Cat...better yet, try The Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe and skim the table of contents for a story that intrigues you! That's exactly what I did. Then I went on Netflix and watched Vincent Price's reenactment of  Poe's stories. I love Poe's stories; they're short and bone chilling. Do you prefer a great love story? Try Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë! It will sweep you off your feet It will make your heart swell! Perhaps you prefer something light hearted and funny? Then read Emma by Jane Austen! It had me laughing out loud :r numerous times. Does history hold your fascination? Read I, Claudius by Robert Graves.  You will end up feeling like Emperor Claudius of Rome is your bff. :L I'm serious.  Do you love Dystopian books (Hunger Games, anyone?) Read one of the original dystopian novels-- 1984 by George Orwell. Perhaps you're like me and dig Fantasy? If so, you'll enjoy She by Rider H. Haggard and of course-- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. These are just some of my favorites. I recommend these if you want to read something good, hilarious, relatable (yes, classics are relatable!) It's weird but many times I finish a classic and go, "wow...I can't believe this was written 100 years ago!?" But then again-- there's a reason they call them classics! ^_^ They've stood the test of time and there is always something that made them stand that harsh test. 


Complete Stories and PoemsWuthering HeightsEmmaI, Claudius (Claudius, #1)A Room with a View1984The SHE Series by H. Rider HaggardThe Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia #1-7)



Dust Off Your Classics Update:
I love classics. As many of you know I love classics so much but have a difficult time reading them when other reads on my TBR seem more urgent or exciting.  In fact, I love reading Classics so much that I started a reading challenge with Trish @ Between The Lines called Dust Off Your Classics. Our goal is to read one classic every other month. Well, I picked The Woman in White for my first book and DNF. It wasn't the best idea to pick a 600 page book for my first classic. After talking to Trish, we decided to read a classic together and use discussion questions to fuel conversation and make the book more exciting to read. We picked Jane Eyre to be the classic that we will read together. I think I read it (at least part of it ) a long time ago but I completely blanked it out-- if I did read it! So, I started it and haven't made much progress yet. Are you interested in reading some classics this year? Join our little reading challenge and pick any # of classics you'd like to read this year (even 1!) it's great fun and we will be hosting a giveaway if we get more participants! Head over HERE to the Dust off Your Classics Page.

Feel free to grab our button! 



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

10 comments :

  1. Great post. You're right, there is a classic out there for everyone, it's just a matter of finding it. And you've made some really wonderful suggestions.
    tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love the way you matched up some ones likes with a classic :-). I have to start. Jane Eyre yet *slaps myself on wrist* Will get to it at the weekend. Pinky promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, that's ok trish! I have so much I gotta read right now it's been overwhelming, but I'm getting there.,,slowly. Lol

      Delete
  3. Some great classics listed!

    Happy Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read I, Claudius! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, Meg! I, Claudius is one if my FAV books of ALL TIME! :D you have to read it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Dee! I had a goal when I graduated high school to read as many classics as I could before H.S.. You have some great choices up there. Some of my favs are Count of Monte Cristo, Tale of Two Cities, Catcher in the Rye, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Little Women, Dracula, and my all time fav... Gone with the WInd. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! The Scarlet Pimpernel is on my list of classics to read! Dracula is one I totally forgot to put on my list! It's another favorite! Ack! :) thanks for stopping by though,

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!