Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dust off your Classics Reading Challenge


Dust Off Your Classics Posts


10) Turn of the Screw by Henry James (DNF) 

9) Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper [middle grade classic]

8) A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare 

7) Rebecca by Daphne du Marier

6)  Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

5) Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

4) Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle A Scandal in Bohemia

3) Persuasion by Jane Austen (no review)

2) Jane Eyre By Charlotte Bronte

1) Dee's Reads is proud to announce our first reading challenge for 2013!


Dee's Reads wants to help you Dust off your classics

Is reading classics on your book bucket list? Do you mean to read classics but then get bogged down with them or distracted by other lighter, fun books? Welcome to our world!

Me and Trish at Bookish Trish were struggling to read classics and so decided to join forces in the hope of encouraging each other on. We are setting up a ‘Classic Challenge’ where we are aiming to read 6 classics a year and we will have an update on our blogs every month on the 15th. The posts will include which classic we're reading, how we like it, and some things we learned about the time period, funny words/quotes, etc! Interested in joining in? We would love it, the more the merrier! *huzzah for classics* ^_^

All you need to do add your details below in Linky and link back to both our blogs whenever you do an update on your own progress. We have a button for you to use on your blog, so feel free to grab that. You don’t HAVE to follow both our blogs but it would be nice! And we’ll follow back, we’re good like that :) Feel free to add us on Goodreads too. Apart from that, the rules are there are no rules! You can choose your own Classic and set your own pace. Book hares and book snails, all welcome. If you want to set a higher number than 6 for the year (or lower) that's fine too.

So to start, we thought we would share a little bit about why we want to do this.

Why Bookish Trish wants to read Classics?

Well they are Classics, they are the Gods of the book world! They have been tried and tested and have stood the test of time. I love to read and want to challenge myself to read outside the box.
I think they are great for improving and expanding your vocabulary something I have become more conscious of since I have started this blog. To me it only stands to reason, that reading good books will have to rub off a little and improve my own writing skills. Well I can but hope!
History buff here! So this is a chance for me to visit all different periods and countries and learn a little more in the process. 

Why Dee's Reads wants to read Classics? 

I've always loved the classics. There's something to be said for a book that has stood the test of time and continues to be emotional to readers and relatable. I remember LOL to Emma by Jane Austen and thinking "I'm laughing to myself and this book is how old?! Amazing!" I also continually hear about people's favorite books, many of them classics, and am embarrassed to admit I've never read them! (Great Expectations, anyone?) So here's my chance to tackle those classics that have been collecting dust and learn something from them! Hopefully we'll LOL, maybe cry, but always have fun and support each other!

Well have we encouraged you to join? If so, yay! Link up and add in the comments below: What book you will start with. Have you a read a classic that you loved? Don’t be shy, share with us. Looking for a recommendation on what classic to start with? Ask away! 

Grab our button!



Show others you're committed to 
Dust off your classics! 



 Here's the linky! Add your blog and hop around to connect and support each other!! 



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

8 comments :

  1. And we're off! Happy reading Dee :). What are you starting with? As I'm already reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, I'm going to keep going with that one. Really enjoying it, it's clever and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy reading, trish! I'm so proud of us we organized and got this done in what? A week? ^_^ I'm starting with The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.

      Delete
    2. I started The Age of Innocence a few months ago but dnf. Will give it another go later in the year, there was some great descriptions in there.

      Delete
    3. Ah I hope it's good. I ordered a hardcover copy of The Woman in White so that will be next, :o

      Delete
  2. Though overwhelmed, I have a sudden interest in reading Ann Radcliffe's novels. I may join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhhh jeez! I've been wanting to read her since I finished Northanger Abbey! Well, one chapter a night and you could totally joinin Debbie!

      Delete
  3. Reading classics is one of my reading goals for 2013. I have 10 picked out, but so far have only managed to finish one. I have been in quite the reading slump though, which I am determined to overcome!
    Good luck with your reading of classics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camilla, you should totally join in! :) like I was telling Debbie, one chapter a night is doable and before you know it you'll be finishing with us at 1 book every other month! ;) something to consider. Even if you want to just read one we would love to hear about it!

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!