March 27, 2013

Age of the Aura, Phase I: Champions of Power by Samuel Odunsi Jr.



Age of the Aura, Phase I: Champions of Power Review 


I went into reading this thinking it was a short story. It is, technically. But it doesn’t read like a short story. It reads like a full novel, creating a full galaxy with its own stamp. First I want to mention how much I LOVE the cover. I know you’re not supposed to “judge a book by its cover” but no matter what people say—the cover can make the story so much more intriguing that it may otherwise be. This cover drew me in, the bright green flash of lightning bolted in my minds’ eye in the beginning when the Aura (the green sphere) created chaos. 

The book follows a few different characters throughout. It goes back and forth describing different planets and telling some stories from each—giving the reader different perspectives on the life on each of these planets. One thing I loved were the names. When the Sorastarians were introduced, I was like “no way!” It’s funny, I’m half Persian and in Iran there are many different religions. Besides Islam and Judaism, there is a smaller sect called “Zorastarians” and they’re thought of by the Muslims as being “strange, kind of weird people.” I thought this was perhaps a funny coincidence (unless the author knew about it, then it was a clever use of words!) Other names were very cool too, Loren, Edith, Ambrose, Toran, etc.

My favorite character was Loren, the main character. However, I do wish his grandfather was more involved in the story. (I won’t tell you why he isn’t). From the beginning I got really attached to the grandfather and always liked him a little more than Loren. Not that I don’t like Loren, because I do. 

I’m going to be honest, I think I would’ve grooved with the story way better if I was more into sci-fi as a genre. So I’m rating it with that in mind. That being said, the story was strong but there were things that were problematic. It is written very formally. This didn’t bother me much, it added to the style. As far as the writing I think some of the transitions could have been improved, smoother perhaps. Sometimes I had to back track a few pages to figure out who we were reading about, and which planet we were on! The story also lagged in the middle. The beginning and the end were super awesome-action-filled and then the middle was just slow, imo. Even with all those things I still think the creativeness of the story and the unique world were very impressive. I’d read the next book. I’m not a sci-fi nut, but if you are I DEF recommend it.

 This book made me realize a few things. It made me realize that I haven’t read much sci-fi beyond Ray Bradbury (I don’t have much to compare/contrast this book to). Perhaps because I am not well-read in sci-fi I didn’t really appreciate the ins and outs of the story. I don’t know. But I’m glad I didn’t give up in the middle. The ending was good, and a bit of a cliffhanger! I think since this a prequel a lot of stuff had to be fleshed out, so I'm actually looking forward to the next book as I think I'll really enjoy it. Can't wait to see what happens with Lowen!

 My Rating: 3/5 Stars 
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. It sounds okay for a Sci-fi book. The cover is bad though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the cover because in the beginning I felt I needed a visual as to how the aura would look. And I used it as a refrence. ^_^

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!