Sunday, August 07, 2016

YA Tropes I Love | Discussion

The Young Adult genre is riddled with book tropes. From love triangles to the damsel in distress there are many different kinds of tropes, good and bad. I do find myself ranting about how often most tropes show up in books but there are the many few I can't stop reading about. Maybe that says a lot more about my personality and how easily I am entertained, but I assure you there is a reason behind my madness. 

1. Good Girl Likes Bad Guy

These books are just some examples of the trope that has been in YA since the beginning of time. The trope is as follows: there is a girl (usually the main heroine/protagonist) and she's this sweet-loving beauty. She's independent (and perhaps even shy) yet somehow she's missing something. Now to warn you all, this trope usually follows some sort of love triangle as there is the "safe" guy and then there is the brother/friend who is a rebel and enjoys breaking the rules. The girl is immediately more attracted to the "bad" boy. Why? Simply because the boy is more exciting and makes the girl feel like she's "actually living".

2. The All Powerful 

This is a trope I used to get annoyed at because the author would give too much power to a certain character. I thought this was just unfair and didn't make sense as no one is that powerful. However, if it is done correctly I honestly have no problem with it. Take Celaena in ToG for example. In the book, she's known as the most notorious assassin but the series shows her constant inner struggle with staying at the top, boy problems and finding her identity. So although she may be Adarlan's greatest assassin, she has flaws that make her her.

3. "OMG I'm a what"

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME FOR LOVING THIS TROPE. I know so many people who hate it because it's so cliche and we think that when these characters have these epiphanies, their whole world starts to change for the better. That's not true! In fact, for some characters finding out their true power might be even worse for them. One of my reasons for loving this trope is you really get to see the development they go through from before the change to after they've fully come to terms with their powers/right.

4. Best Friends Falling in Love

This is one trope I won't ever get tired of. For all those that aren't aware, I am a huge disbeliever of insta-love. I think it's so overrated, cliche and just unnecessary. I HATE IT! I sort of have this belief that two best friends falling in love is the opposite of insta-love, since these two people have known each other since the beginning so it would make sense for them to develop feelings. I've also had the experience of falling for a best friend, so I guess it's sort of just relatable. D'awww I know I know, Alex falling in love. Sounds silly, ehh? 

5. Falling for someone who's at the top of the food chain

Here's a better way of thinking about this trope: Imagine you're pining after this celebrity, who you know you can't have but you still love him/her to pieces. That's what this trope reminds me of. The feeling of longing and pursuing someone you know you'll never be with is weirdly fascinating to me. 

6. Teacher & Student Relationships 

This trope doesn't necessarily mean the teacher and student have to be in love. I'm just talking about students having a plain and simple connection with their teachers, other than what's talked about in class. I think we can all personally say that we've had that teacher who just understands us more than our friends do. I mean, don't get me wrong I'm all for a teacher as the love interest but it has to be done astonishingly well. The topic is frowned upon and is often called taboo. A great example is Even When You Lie to Me by Jessica Alcott, which took the whole book to develop the love between student and teacher. It wasn't mainly based off of attraction or as a mere tactic to boost a grade. I'm sorry but a horrible example of this trope would have to be in Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. For starters, the MC only liked the teacher because he was 'hot'. Another reason was because they 'did it' while they were still in the school building, which I think is stupidly reckless. 

There are some cases where the student and teacher have a common interest and therefore have a connection. This doesn't have to be romantic in any way. In Forgive Me Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick the MC is a troubled young man who plans to kill his ex-best friend and then himself. However his mutual connection with his teacher, the only person that truly understands him, will be the one to save the day!

author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!