Sunday, October 25, 2015

Costume Ideas Based On Books

In spirit of Halloween, I'm doing something really cool! I've decided to combine costumes and books into one bookish post about costumes based on book characters or books in general. If you have a costume already, you might want to reconsider when you see your favorite book on this list! 

1. The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners takes place in 1926, the miraculous age of drinking, prohibition, and flapper girls. I'm actually including this one since I'm going to be a flapper girl for this Halloween. Flapper girl/guy costumes can range in so many different styles and colors. The thing I love most about these costumes is the hair and the headdresses! Wouldn't it be nice to travel back in time for a day? 

2. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Michael Crichton's classic tale about dinosaurs integrated into modern society is a great way to spend this creepy holiday. Dress as a park ranger and paint on some blood or red claw marks to show your battle scars from fighting a dinosaur!! Represent Jurassic Park! 

3. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

A Greek goddess/god is probably the easiest to dress up as! Let's be realistic, all you need is a white blanket or sheet, some painted gold ribbons or jewelry and some strappy sandals. Listen, it's not that hard once you search up some easy goddess/god DIYs. 
 

4. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Oh, oh. Celaena Sardothien! Who wouldn't want to her in any situation? I was originally going to do this but no one in my school would understand the reference. If you go to her site (link is provided in the photo's caption), she'll tell you where to buy all of this stuff online. Give it a lookie!
Celaena Sardothien Throne of Glass Halloween Costume
Courtesy of Alice Marvels 

5. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

When in doubt, dress as a Shadowhunter. Simple, use some eyeliner to tag yourself with runes, pop on your leather jacket. Girls, you're going to need those Doc Martins or super tall black boots and of course the dark eyeliner makeup. Anything leather, chains, you need black clothing as well. All that is fair game. 
   

6. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Of course I had to do this book! You didn't think that my top book of 2015 so far was going to get off the hook that easily, did you? And if you love this book as much as I do, then go for something Arabian Nights themed or as a belly dancer. I love these costumes because they are so unique and really look good on anyone if you decide to do so. The third picture shown below actually is a good representation of the main character in this book! 
 

7. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page

Dorothy is something easy to pull off if you have the right materials. Any plaid dress works, some red heels, a picnic basket, pigtails, and cute blue ribbons for your hair. I was debating whether to do this or not but I couldn't find any inexpensive costumes. 

Unfortunately I have a marine biology test on Monday so I can't do more, but I'd love to see some suggestions from you guys! 




author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

4 comments :

  1. Such a fun post, all the costumes are great Alex! I think Celaena would ROCK though! Even if you had a carry a copy of the book so that everyone would get it. And then if the party sucks, well you've got a great book to read so winning! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh so slick! That was great. I'm thinking about doing that now. I'll be a flapper girl and bring The Diviners with me :D

      Delete
  2. Amazing post dear! You have a wonderful blog:)
    What about following each other on Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter?:)

    www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I have a random Greek Empress costume, and I never thought of busting it out in connection with the Percy Jackson series. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!