October 12, 2015

Charmed by the Sequel! Fork Tongue Charmers (Luck Uglies 2) by Paul Durham @pauldurhambooks

Series: The Luck Uglies #2
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star
Source: e-arc via Edelweiss | HarperCollins
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Date of Publication: March 17, 2015
Pages: 416 // Goodreads
Genre: fantasy, middle grade, adventure
It's not easy being the daughter of the High Chieftain of the Luck Uglies.
Now an insidious new lawman in Drowning has declared Rye an outlaw, and she's stuck on the strange and remote Isle of Pest. But the island quickly feels much less remote when the battle to control the future of the Luck Uglies moves to its shores.
To defeat the Luck Uglies' bitterest rivals, Rye must defy a deranged earl, survive a test meant to judge the grit of the fiercest men--and uncover some long-buried family secrets. And when Rye leads the charge to defend the island, she and her friends will meet an eerily familiar enemy. . . .

My Review


I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

So I'm going to be honest, it's been awhile since I finished this book. I was moving and things were crazy and I just didn't have a chance to sit down and review the books and share my thoughts. :8 Finally though, I am organized enough to do this! (it's midnight on Friday night, but hey, whatever works right? :8

In case you are wondering, this is a sequel to the really amazing book The Luck Uglies that I read and raved about last year. I guess I did rave about it, and I remember including it in my end of the year survey. So, that says something since it’s so hard to remember what you read unless it really stands out.

I think the thing that I was most excited about with this sequel was just getting more of the off-beat adventure that I loved in the first book.

I feel like this book has that 4-star differentiation from the average 3 star, "good" funny adventurous middle grade read for a really big reason. I really feel like this story is different. Granted, most books I'm rating three stars are alrready unique but the thing with the Luck Uglies is this: they are so unique and different that they leave an impression. It's something that a book either does, or doesn't. And for me these books just leave an impression that I think I will always remember, which is really something.

The excellent imagery helped with that. Even though at times the character development seemed a little bit too "on script" and predictable; I think that is only because I am an older reader reading a middle grade book (in a genre I have read for fifteen years...and it doesn't really bother me because it's a comfort. like a warm bowl of soup....) So I cut that some slack. And, besides that and feeling a bit rushed at the end, I can't say there were any major things I would change.

I really enjoyed the ending and though it was so intriguing (and a bit spooky!)

I don't know if I can look forward to another book in this series or not? I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out though, and will read whatever next thing this author puts out.
[my vote is for a Luck Uglies graphic novel with the same visual designer / artistic theme as the covers! I think it would be a smashing hit, we don't have enough meaty graphic novels for younger readers. but that's for another post...]

Are you a fan of a great middle grade adventure with fantasy and intrigue? What makes a book memorable to you? Comment below! ^_^



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!