Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: Pride & Prejudice (Manga Classics)


Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen // Art by PoTse Story Adaptation by Stacy Kang

Source: eARC via Netgalley
My Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Publication Date: August 19th, 2014
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Pages: 377 pages
Genre: Manga, Classics, Romance
Goodreads

Transformed in this bold, new manga adaptation. All of the joy, heartache, and romance of Jane Austen's original, perfectly illuminated by the sumptuous art of manga-ka Po Tse, and faithfully adapted by Stacy E. King.

My Review

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I remember voting on the Goodread’s Choices Awards last year for the Best Graphic Novel/Manga category. I remember being somewhat shocked that a classic won! I vowed to read some of the books that made the list (and won said categories) and I’m happy to say that I am really glad I made that decision.  :tup

I usually read several graphic novels at once *hides in fear of judgement* ..lol just kidding.  But seriously though, there is usually two that I am starting while I take breathers from my books on certain days (its a system, okay?)

So when I started Pride and Prejudice, I was a bit taken aback by how I reacted. I mean, let’s be honest, I love my graphic novel retellings of classics/YA/whatever. I am a huge fan of a retelling done right in this format. But, I have to mention, I’m not a huge manga nut. I just never got into the experience of it like I did with graphic novels. The thing that always seemed to bug me was the lack of color. *shrugs* I just couldn’t connect as well with the story.



THAT HAS ALL CHANGED, MY FRIENDS.

I went from feeling “meh” about manga (meh with an overwhelming respect for it, and love…from afar) —to that lightbulb moment where I was finally like I GET IT. I GET THIS MEDIUM. And man, that felt great! I really got lost in the story of Darcy…and Elizabeth and Jane and Mr. Bindley. I actually forgot that it wasn’t in color can you believe that especially color-obsessed-me! 

I think that anytime a story transports you to that zone where you “forget” things like whether you are looking at color or black and white, or when was the last time you ate? haha those are the best reads! I am very happy to say that this manga classic version of Pride and Prejudice did the classic novel justice. More than that, it introduced me to a new medium that I was afraid I would never really love— manga! So onto more manga with renewed vigor (let’s just forget those other manga I tried to read and didn’t love that much, it happens!)

I definitely recommend this to lovers of Jane Austen. It is a super fast read! I read it in 24 hours! That is huge for me, especially this past year! :b haha

I also recommend it to those who, like me, may not be completely on the ‘manga train’ and especially if they love this story they it’s the perfect time to try out the medium! You never know!

And to finish up this review I of course have to add some images from the book *taken from google* so you can see a bit about what I am talking about! ^_^
Note: I’m not sure whether these images are from the published version or not, because I got them off google and because I read the eARC I am not sure if they altered anything in the final version so yeah.

Example of how accurately they captured the characters
and how beautifully rendered the whole thing is! 

Are you a fan of Manga? Would you read a classic you love in manga and/or graphic novel form? Comment below!

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

6 comments :

  1. I have never read Pride and Prejudice!! (I am ashamed!) But a classic novel into manga!! LOL!! Amazing! I need it!!
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DO!!! :O hahah Don’t be embarrassed! You def gotta lmk if you read it :O

      Delete
  2. A book like this might be the way to get me excited about manga. Thanks for sharing!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY, Jen! I completely agree!! ^_^ Let me know if you do get into it! There's also Emma and Les Miserables too if you prefer those stories :)

      Delete
  3. I actually got this for Christmas last year! It was such a good idea to make a manga version of this book!!! And the illustrations are gorgeous! Great review, Dee :) Now I want to re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I actually really want the paperback version on my shelf :) I can’t wait to read more of them. Have you read any of the other classics they’ve done? I just got Emma ;)

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!