Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Book Review: Blood Magick (Cousins O'Dwyer #3) by Nora Roberts

Blood Magick (Book 3 of Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy) by Nora Roberts

My Rating: 2 of 5 stars :star :star

Source: Paperback, owned (used from bookstore)

Publisher: Berkley Trade

Date of Publication: October 28th, 2014


County Mayo is rich in the traditions of Ireland, legends that Branna O’Dwyer fully embraces in her life and in her work as the proprietor of The Dark Witch shop, which carries soaps, lotions, and candles for tourists, made with Branna’s special touch.

Branna’s strength and selflessness hold together a close circle of friends and family—along with their horses and hawks and her beloved hound. But there’s a single missing link in the chain of her life: love…

She had it once—for a moment—with Finbar Burke, but a shared future is forbidden by history and blood. Which is why Fin has spent his life traveling the world to fill the abyss left in him by Branna, focusing on work rather than passion.

Branna and Fin’s relationship offers them both comfort and torment. And though they succumb to the heat between them, there can be no promises for tomorrow. A storm of shadows threatens everything that their circle holds dear. It will be Fin’s power, loyalty, and heart that will make all the difference in an age-old battle between the bonds that hold their friends together and the evil that has haunted their families for centuries.

My Review 

*Warning: Minor spoilers regarding storyline of previous books contained in this review*

I was excited to say I have finished my first Nora Roberts series. The Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy was a series that really changed my mind about the romance genre. It also helped eliminate all those preconceived notions I had about Nora Roberts. 

Although some of what I was expecting was met in these books, I did find myself surprised by a few things.  Most of all, I am surprised by how little I liked this book. It was the least likable of the whole trilogy, and a major disappointment. I felt like it was boring, had too much dialogue, and the characters didn't have the passion or flare that the other books had with the main romance/love interest. 

There aren't a lot of sex scenes or anything of that nature, if you're wondering. I know I thought Roberts books would always have a lot of that and that is why I was always not sure about reading her books. I was shocked by how calm everything was and non-erotic. A little disappointed, at least lol. Definitely kind of a "wholesome" book if you catch my drift.


The romance that is featured in this book is between Branna and Fin. If you read any of this series so far, you know that this is pretty obvious since all the others in the group are paired off. Fin, or Finbar Burke, is a descendant of Calahan. Calahan is the evil warlock who has been hunting the O'Dwyers for hundreds of years to gain their magical powers ever since their ancestor cursed him. This curse has transferred to Fin and marked him forever, thus delivering a perfect reason why Branna and Fin cannot follow their feelings of love and be together. *le sigh* 

Angsty books are always a bit annoying to me, unless the couple has a legitimately clear and established reason why they cannot be together—I tend to get really annoyed. I think that was my major problem with this book. I didn't fully "buy" the reasons that Branna and Fin couldn't be together.

I kind of feel like this book was just churned out because she had to finish the series. Kind of disappointing, to be honest. We have all read those series enders that just end with the reader not wanting more from the characters. That is what happened to me when I read this finale to the Cousins O'Dwyer series.

I won't say that I would not read Nora Roberts again, because I would. I liked the other two books and have heard her other supernatural romance books are good so I will sometime read those and hopefully they won't disappoint in the end.




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. I see why you were a bit annoyed with this one in terms of the romance - I hate the whole "we can't be together" if there's no legit reason for it, like you mentioned.

    Great review, hun! I hope your next read is better. <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that's a pretty flat way to finish off a series that you were enjoying. What a pity. All the issues you highlighted though just make the whole book sound dull to me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!