April 3, 2015

Dust Off Your Classics: Rebecca review!!


Dust off your classics is a challenge I created two years ago with Trish @ Between My Lines. Basically we both agreed to start a super chill challenge where the only goal is to try to read 6 classics a year. In this second year we have decided we can do 6 and are trying to go for more! Feel free to check out the page and join the linky here.


Rebecca by Daphne du Marier

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars :star :star :star :star

Source: Paperback via my collection

Originally Published: 1938

Publisher: HarperCollins

A classic novel of romantic suspense finds the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter entering the home of her mysterious and enigmatic new husband and learning the story of the house's first mistress, to whom the sinister housekeeper is unnaturally devoted.



My Review

One of the things I love about this challenge is that it has and continues to push me to read the classics that have been on my TBR for many years. Rebecca was one of those classics that made me feel like I'm the only one in the book blogosphere that hadn't read it! So many of my book bloggy pals and Goodreads friends had raved about this book, but it was just another one of those books that seemed like it'd be forever on my shelf. Until one of my favorite aunts told me it was her absolute favorite book. She's not a big reader and I hadn't ever heard her talk about a novel like she did with Rebecca. That and the fact that I got a gorgeous copy for Christmas last year cinched the deal for me. I just knew I'd have to read this book and I'm so glad that I did!! 

The Beginning: 
Although intriguing, overall it was kind of slow moving. It took me a LONG LONG time to get into it.

I liked how it started, but the first part was actually the epilogue which threw me off and at the end I had to reread it. Then I thought it was brilliant and perfect ;) Everything came together and in the beginning when I read it I felt sufficiently spooked and melancholy.

Our nameless heroine meets Maxim. Her attitude and demeanor made me feel kind of sorry for her. She was just so hopeless and never stood up for herself. That was her personality though and it was completely authentic, so I loved that.

The Middle:
As our heroine moves to Manderly, the mystic surrounding the epic manor and grounds is intensified and I was so excited yet nervous as she drove down the long driveway for the first time. Some great foreshadowing and then when she enters the house it's crazy how much it seemed like a horror movie (in the start of the movie, that is).

The End: 
My favorite part! The middle brought up the mystery and I loved how everything built up. I also just enjoyed getting to know the characters (there was a great cast of characters). I was surprised by the ending and thought I knew what was going to happen. I mean…I read the introduction which is the epilogue so I kinda knew ..but didn't realize how many surprises there'd be!

Thoughts:
While this isn't my top favorite classic, or even top 5…I did still really love it. It's a great novel. I'm so glad I read it and I can see how it made the favorite list for many people. It was the pacing that got me to give it 4 stars instead of 5..if the pacing was better it'd be higher on my list of favs. But still, I'd read more by Daphne du Marier.

What am I going to do now? 
…watch Hitchcock's version of Rebecca 


..and choose the next classic I'm going to read! I'm going to list some of the books I'm thinking to read next and please comment on which one you think is the best choice!

-The Turn of the Screw
-Silas Marner
-The Age of Innocence
-The Haunting of Hill House 
- Ayesha/Return of She/She 
- Heart of Darkness


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

8 comments :

  1. Rebecca is one of many classics that I have never read. But a lot of the classics are so incredibly slow paced. It's hard to get into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOWWW It's taken me over a month to finish Rebecca :|| I was so miserable for awhile but then it picked up and I finished it in a day! haha :D You'll read it one day, when you do just give yourself plenty of time b/c of the pacing..

      Delete
  2. Apart from the pacing, I love the sound of this one! I love the creepy house setting as it gives such a gothic feel. OK, I need to get my act together and pick a classic, I'm lagging behind a bit this year. I like your choices but should mention that I DNF'd The Age of Innocence as it was SO slow that I lost patience. The setting is fun but it's full of trivial detail and I couldn't bear it for another page :O My vote goes to The Haunting of Hill House ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you need to pick a classic!! It's hard though! Ohh okay I'll make a note of that for Age of Innocence, probably will pass on that one. I definitely note your vote! So far you're the first to vote and I do feel like a creepy read would be great :L Thanks Trish!

      Delete
  3. I love Daphne du Maurier! Rebecca is one of my favorite books ever :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!! Have you read all her other books? which one do you recommend ;)

      Delete
  4. I've only read one other Daphne book and surprisingly not this one. I am super curious now though, and WILL DEFINITELY HAVE TO PICK IT UP! I do love a bit of gothicism. Fantastic review, Diamond! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU HAVE TO PICK IT UP! I feel like you would absolutely love it, Jess. What was the book you did read by her? Was it very gothic romance-y? lol ;)

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!