April 10, 2015

Book Review: A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

My Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars :star :star :star 1/2

Source: eARC via HarperTEEN | Edelweiss

Date of Publication: February 25th, 2015

Publisher: HarperTeen

Rhiannon Thomas's dazzling debut novel is a spellbinding reimagining of Sleeping Beauty and what happens after happily ever after.

One hundred years after falling asleep, Princess Aurora wakes up to the kiss of a handsome prince and a broken kingdom that has been dreaming of her return. All the books say that she should be living happily ever after. But as Aurora understands all too well, the truth is nothing like the fairy tale.

Her family is long dead. Her "true love" is a kind stranger. And her whole life has been planned out by political foes while she slept. 

As Aurora struggles to make sense of her new world, she begins to fear that the curse has left its mark on her, a fiery and dangerous thing that might be as wicked as the witch who once ensnared her. With her wedding day drawing near, Aurora must make the ultimate decision on how to save her kingdom: marry the prince or run.

Rhiannon Thomas weaves together vivid scenes of action, romance, and gorgeous gowns to reveal a richly imagined world … and Sleeping Beauty as she’s never been seen before.

My Review 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

My (precise) Rating is 3.5 stars. I haven't used the half star too much this year, but hopefully after reading my review you'll understand why I think it's the only option here). ;)

This is kind of a difficult review to write just because I am bit torn with my overall feelings about the book. It was very interesting unique story. I think the most interesting "hook" was that we get a story about what happens to the beauty after the prince kisses her and wakes her up…after 100 years have passed. It's a fascinating thing to ponder. All your family and friends are dead. Everything you know is dead and the princess really has no one to trust, she's dependent on the prince and his family.

It was not a "true love" makes everything right and good and simple—type of book. I think that is definitely what made me keep reading it. Aurora was a different princess, sheltered but bold. Bold and stupid, yes but not to the point of me having to smh as I touch the screen of my kindle to turn each page (it's happened before).

Our prince is also a bit unique. Rodric is not cocky (there's another character that fills that description), nor is his feeble. He's just had a tough life in his own sheltered way and wants to please his parents, yet feels miserable and also feels sad and empathizes with Aurora's situation. In the end he really gained my respect by his actions.

"They love you," Rodric said under his breath. Was he talking to himself or to her? The lie cut into her chest, and something like panic bubbled up in her throat. They could not love her. No one could, not here, not really. Not the prince, not the crowd, not anyone. They were all deceived, by her face or her silence or their own desires." -Loc 2291 eARC*
As you can see the writing is quite good and I did enjoy the way it was written. The pacing was a bit off at times, because I felt like the book was one big introduction. It was strange, almost like the author needed to write this book but that she really isn't getting the story in motion until the sequel. There was a lot of setting up of the characters, time period, setting, backstory, etc…which was essential but I think maybe too detailed? I don't 'know. It's hard because as I was reading it it was fine, but I thought it was going to be a lot longer ( I blame the kindle because I can't judge really…especially because percents with eARCs can be misleading! Sometimes it happens to me where it says 80% and it's over already…so I never really trust the percentages when I'm reading a galley on kindle.

“‘I’m lost’, she said. Nettle continued to sing, words of longing and heartache. Aurora held her breath, and Tristan smiled against her cheek. ‘Me too,’ he said. ‘Maybe we can be lost together.’” -Loc 1473

Tristan, by the way is a love interest. No, he's not the prince who awakes Aurora with true loves' first kiss (that’s Rodric). To my relief (and to yours should you read it) Tristan isn’t the second man in a love triangle. There isn’t really a love triangle in this book. I was worried at first that there would be, but there wasn’t. There may be some fling(s) involved in the novel. Overall though, Aurora is just being young and discovering that “true love” may not have been the reason that she awoke from her long long sleep.

The ending had me excited and thrilled, to be honest. I was glued to the last chapter or two…just dying to see what was going to happen. I loved all the build up, and action that was in the latter chapters. However, as I said about he pacing, this is where it really became apparent at the pacing of the bulk of the book was slow because the end was quicker but felt more organic. It felt right. Which made me feel like the introduction was too long (2/3 of a book is too long to feel like an intro!) 

When I read the last page I was like— WHAT?!?! THIS IS IT?! I kept staring at the 100% in disbelief. I guess yeah, cliffhangers will do that. But, more than that, I felt a bit cheated. I mean, it just felt a little wrong. I wanted to read more. I really honestly think it would've worked better to have a long ass book (you know fantasy novels can do that…maybe it's harder in YA but still…) and then at the end have a Part II. Instead of having to wait for another book. I think it would've flowed better that way and I would have kept reading. 

I did enjoy this unique retelling of Sleeping Beauty, one of my favorite fairy tales and Disney movies. Although I had some problems with the story, I very much enjoyed reading it and am glad I read the book. 

I recommend this novel for lovers of fairy tale retellings. If you like your books sweet but not cavity-inducing, plots with conflict but not blood-drenched, and characters that are unique but still (mostly) relatable, you should read this book. A Wicked Thing is a good start to what I predict will be an outstanding series. My prediction is that the sequel will far outshine this book as the setting has been established and the sequel will really get us into Aurura's choices and the evil queens part in her future and how much she shaped Aurora and Alyssiana's past?

*Please note: quotes were taken from the advanced reader copy of the book. Quotes may not be the same in the published copy. 

-Diamond

Have you read this book or are you planning to read it? Did you enjoy it? 


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

10 comments :

  1. I haven't read this, but it is on my list. I didn't use to be a fan of these new fairy tales, but then I read Cinder and finally saw the light, lol. Or, rather, the potential. So I can't wait to read this one (*so* relieved about the no love triangle thing...!) Great review <3 Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh yeah Cinder definitely makes you believe that retellings can be as good or better than the original when done right. I love retellings, actually. I know they can be hit or miss though. I think you should try this one out, and if you do let me know what you think! Thanks Ramona!!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good! A grown up fairy tale that fits more with reality sounds fantastic, however the pacing sounds like something that would be a huge turn off for me.I may still try it though, we'll see. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah pacing can make or break a novel, can't it? I don't know if you love retellings or not, but if you do you may wanna try it just for that reason alone ( i know that cinced the deal for me) :O Thanks Briana

      Delete
  3. Wow, I think I tried THREE times to get into this book, twice last year as well, and in the end, I couldn't do it. I was just so bored which sucked. I think I found it too slow at the beginning, despite the fantastic plot. BUT I hear it's good to stick around (and your review has totally confirmed this) because the ending's supposed to be amazing. I may have to dive into my arc again one day. Fabulous review, Diamond! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember (vaguely) you talking about it with me or on your blog. Sucks you couldn't get into it! Truth is, I was kinda surprised by how fast I read it compared to many of the other books and slow slow pace I've been reading these days LOL >.< It definitely has a great ending, but I think you should wait until the next book or even the whole series is out and then reconsider. y'know? ;) Thanks Jess!

      Delete
  4. I am pretty sure I already commented about the review, but a heads up that I tagged you and or Alex for the Book Tag! https://readerwritercritic.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/book-tag/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on the early reviews I read, I think I'm probably going to hold off on this for now. If this is a series (I guess it is because of the cliffy) I think I'll wait and see how people like the next book.
    Jen at YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah…I think that is a smart decision! Especially with all the other books no doubtedly waiting for you on your shelf and kindle ;) this one can def be waited out. :tup

      Delete

Leave a comment! I appreciate every single comment and will comment back if you leave a link.

Remember you can use all these cool emoticons just add a space bar before so it shows up!