Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 9 Vol. 3) Guarded

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Vol. 3 - Guarded by Chambliss, Espenson, Greenbery

Source: Paperback Graphic Novel from my collection
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star
Published:  Dark Horse Comics
Date of Publication: May 1st 2013

In a bold move to give disenfranchised Slayers a meaningful societal role (with pay), Kennedy recruits Buffy to act as bodyguard for high-profile clientele. But unlike the other recruits, Buffy struggles to abandon her Slaying instincts and looks for demony threats where none lie (much to Kennedy's dismay). So it's only natural that her first job is to protect a tech mogul who just so happens to be running from demon assassins! Collects Buffy Season 9 #11–#15.

My Review

As many of you lovely readers know, I do love my graphic novels. I review them all the time, and they are a constant staple in my life. What you may not know, however, is that the very first graphic novel I ever read was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was the omnibus Vol. 1 of Buffy—soon after I began the Season 8 BtVS graphic novels and was addicted. I loved the show, and all the gorgeous graphics and banter between characters I knew so well. It didn't take long for me to expand into other graphic novels and ..the rest is history!


So it's been awhile since I have read Buffy…I haven't read much of Season 9 and I know I have Season 10 to catch up to lol. I got this copy like a year ago and just wasn't in the mood for Buffy :( I feel like this season has been kind of "meh" aside from the magnificent Willow One Shot I read last year. That was superb. And, talking to others I realized I wasn't the only one who was actually more impressed with the Angel + Faith Season vs. Buffy S9. 

What I did like in this: The last half. It contained a good taste of "Billy the Vampire Slayer".. The first male slayer who is gay and amazing and his watcher is gay too. He's kick ass and basically isn't officially "called" but was called to action when the zombie vampires came to his town. I really felt like it was refreshing…I just felt like this series needed some new characters. I hope we see more of Billy the Vampire Slayer. That was why I gave this 3 stars…otherwise I would've given it 2, which is crazy! I mean, I never thought I'd give Buffy such a low rating, sorry Buffs. It's just that this was kind of a ehhhh not that great for me.

Kennedy was annoying. And bitchy..imho at least. Buffy was okay, not as much sass and I like her to have. Maybe that's just the way she's going to be now? oh please no, let's hope that's not true. I'm going to continue reading this series, but I don't have the next one and am not exactly running to buy it. To be honest with you, I think my money might be better spent buying Vol. 2 of the Angel + Faith season that I left off on. 

If you're reading this series and not yet up to this, just know that it isn't the best. BUT I heard from many reliable sources that it does get better starting in the next volume and for sure in Volume 5 things pick up. I'll let you know if I think that's accurate or not, but it may be awhile. Until then I'm going to read the other (few) random graphic novels I have on my bookshelf. :O


author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. Man, I love Buffy :) Joss Whedon is a hero! I didn't think about reading the graphic novels, but now I'm suddenly feeling nostalgic, and I can definitely see the appeal. Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! You should read Season 8! It's great for nostalgia. I actually really loved the Willow: Wonderland one shot they did. You don't need to know whats happening to read t and it gives you a great taste of what is offered in the graphic novel. :L

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!