Monday, February 16, 2015

Let's Discuss: Famous Youtubers + YA Book Deals


This is going to be my first post on this blog, and what better way to introduce myself than getting you guys all riled up by this esteemed debate? I haven't had the chance or the willpower to really forge past this subject and forget about it because I'm pretty concerned. You might all have totally different opinions, which is fine but bear with me for the majority of the post. 

Publishing companies have recently been publishing books from several famous Youtubers on Youtube. This is no surprise to some of you, as they've been doing it for years now and no one has said a thing until, of course, Zoella came up with her YA debut novel Girl Online. I, myself, have not gotten a chance to read the book. This isn't a post shaming Zoella or all of the other fabulous Youtubers who have gotten their own books published. I am genuinely happy for her and others because well I'm obsessed, and I binge watch Youtube as well! 


Youtubers will potentially change the publishing company and how the system works. Now whether that is for better or worse is really up for grabs and interpretation. How do you view it? What do I see it as? I see it as publishing companies publishing books of Youtube Stars with millions of fans and subscribers because well for what else... the moolahh and the money. What about the girl under the covers writing a story every night and has the potential to become the next J.K. Rowling? When will her get published? She doesn't have any fans of subscribers, much less one million. Will this affect future author's being published? Will publishing companies continue to aim for famous Youtube stars? 

Let me know your thoughts in the comments and thanks for reading my first post! *dives back in and writes some more* 


author image

Alex

is a book-hoarding, binge-eating anime lover that loves to read and write on her free time. When she hasn't got her head stuck in an enthralling fantasy novel, she's outside collecting rocks or re-organizing her bookshelves for the 100th time. Alex also has nightmares of her TBR pile falling down and crushing her underneath.

13 comments :

  1. I don't know how to feel about this topic at the moment with the whole Zoella "scandal". I haven't seen her vlogs or read her book but not because of the ghost-writing thing just because I'm really not interested in the topic, personally. I think that this is definitely going to be a much larger "thing" now, like you said, but I don't mind. I am jus holding out for a Christina Riccio or Kat O'Keefe book - that would be fabulous! :)

    Rachel @ Rachel's Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Christine and Kat should both definitely write a book about their experiences and Youtube: The Multi-Million Dollar Company!!! haha that would be nice to see their experiences and what they did that was so amazing!

      Delete
  2. This is so interesting to me. I actually had no idea about what this "controversy" is with Zoella. Should I google it? lol.
    I think it's great that people are getting their books published through their youtube site…it's kind of strange at first when I think about it. but, it makes sense like you said it's all about the money money money *sings* :mj
    I would love to get more into watching more book vlogs and stuff (I really like yours)I know I can never do it (I hate editing video..O) BUT I do want to try one of these days. It's kind oa weird though, because bloggers with thousands of followers and popularity don't really get their books published because of that—yet you tubers do? It's kind alf strange I am not sure I understand why like what is the difference. I just think that maybe more book bloggers should be getting that attention in addition to youtube phenom's. Although, I guess interaction is a big part of it and on youtube it's a different form of interaction..I wonder if that's the reason too?
    Great discussion post Alex! Bravo on your first post on here *cheers* :b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also kind of wondered why the Booktubers never really got published books. Like I now Kat wants to be a writer and it would be great if she was able to write and publish her own story to be among other authors. Lol thanks Diamond *winks*

      Delete
  3. Everything has an effect on the chance to be get published of the aspiring writer. The publishing companies are averse to taking risks, so lots of good (new) writers will never get picked up from the slush pile, while Youtubers will continue to see their words on paper. They're lower risks because of the fans... I don't know. It's mostly luck. Talent. Stubbornness. And a day-job on the side to pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! I'm liking the points you made!

      Delete
  4. I actually don't really like how they're getting the deals because they're famous. It isn't just youtube people though. Loads of celebrities get book deals because of their name. And it makes sense. If a fan of theirs sees their name printed on a book, the sales will probably go way up. And it doesn't really matter if the book is good or not.

    I've heard some nasty things about Girl Online so rather than contribute, i'm just going to not read it. But if that's how people get book deals [from being famous], where will all the good books go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point. I also forgot to mention that a ton of regular celebrities get book deals alone and making publishing companies even more famous. I have Girl Online in one of my libraries, and I don't even know when I'm going to be reading it!

      Delete
  5. I've read Girl Online, it wasn't a good book .. but that's besides the point. I find it a bit sad popular people get the chance of a lifetime that they didn't ask for when someone out there was dreaming of it. Great post though <3

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yeah it is really really sad D:

      Delete
  6. I enjoy watching beauty you tubers but that doesn't translate over into wanting me to buy their books. I see so many of them getting fiction and non fiction deals and I've picked the books up and put them down again. They just don't appeal to me. And when I know a book is ghost written, that is an instant turn off for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you mentioned that because the books don't necessarily appeal to me at first, but I'm urged to buy them because of how much I love the Youtuber. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :D

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!