Thursday, September 11, 2014

Dust Off Your Classics: my first foray into Sherlock Holmes

Dust off Your Classics is a challenge created by myself and Trish @ Between the Lines
see the sign-up page

-------

Ok, so I've been really bad about updating which classics I've read. I even realized just now, I never completed my post after I read Persuasion by Jane Austen. Oops. Luckily, I have an awesome co-challenge creator, Trish, who has reminded me I need to hop to it! ;)

I haven't mentioned this on the blog before, but my friend recently got me hooked on Sherlock. Played by the gorgeously charming Benedict Cumberbatch *insert appropriate gif here* I fell in love after one episode (they're an hour long each). It didn't take me long to watch all 3 seasons and the wait for season 4 has been excruciating :| seriously.


So what was a girl to do? Well it so happens I'm a book lover (duh), so I decided to hunt and search my bookshelves until I came upon what I was seeking: the complete Sherlock Homes in two volumes. I also had it on my iPad on iBooks from awhile ago. Satisfied, I proceeded to leaf through the stories and try to pick a good starting point. But I couldn't decide. So I just started at the beginning and read A Scandal in Bohemia. Here's what I thought:

A Scandal in Bohemia
My Rating: Four Stars :star :star :star :star

I really enjoyed reading this! I have to say, it was infinitely better because I could picture Irene Adler and Sherlock Holmes vividly (from watching the show). In both story and show, Ms. Adler is known to Sherlock as simply “the woman” and she's spectacular. Their interactions were so funny and witty. 
I found the story to be fast moving and interesting. It wasn't a tedious read, which can happen all too often with classics. It also helped that the entire story was only 100 pages. It's more of a novella, which is very appealing to me. The mystery was really well paced and written, and I felt like I was reading a new story. It was very different from the portrayal on the show but the personalities of the characters were so similar it was awesome!


If you haven't already read Sherlock Holmes, I can't recommend it enough. The stories are short, and if you are a fan of the show, you feel like you have a secret window into understanding the stories. If you don't or haven't watched Sherlock yet, let me urge you to do so! You won't regret it. And then come back and tell me so we can fangirl over it together :h 

------


Oh and I've been reading a page here and there (about halfway done) with The Red-Headed League. It's really good! I'm also currently reading Pride & Prejudice, which I have never read before. It's one of the first TBR books I added to my Goodresds shelf back in 2012. So excited to finally be reading it, even though I feel like I know the story since I saw the movie :L (which I loved).

So the next post will be my thoughts on Pride & Prejudice, and probably also about The Red-Headed League (the current Homes story I'm reading now).


Ciao!
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. I don't seem to enjoy classics, but Sherlock looks nice. I love your blog already!! Is that Vampire Academy and The Iron Fey that I see? :D

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! thanks! Yeah classics can be tedious, hence the "challenge" lol ;) and yea I love those series!

      Delete
  2. I love Sherlock. The book of short stories was the first I read for our challenge and I just loved how familiar it all felt. I think it's a great way in to the classics for anyone unsure about where to start. And the BBC series is the BEST! I've watched from the first season and I can't wait for them to film and show series 4 either. It's been a long wait but I know it will be worth it. Benedict is Sherlock now, no one else could ever portray him in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES
      BENEDICT IS SHERLOCK. Always and forever <3 :L

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!