Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Book review: Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd
Source: eARC via Edelweiss | Balzer + Bray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

I was eagerly awaiting the release of this novel, as well as the continuation of the series that I admired in The Madman's Daughter. This is the sequel, and it wouldn't make much sense if you hadn't read the first book. Just thought I'd mention that, in case anyone was thinking of skipping the first book I'd recommend not to. This book did have a very different feel to it, and I actually liked it a lot better than the first book!

Here's why: I liked that there were more characters. Of course it's mostly Juliet, but we get to see a lot of Lucy, and we are introduced to Elizabeth and The Professor. I loved them both, and really liked the familial element. I was delighted when we got to see Edward, and when Montgomery shows up it's a partayyyyy, lol. Another thing I really enjoyed was the sexy romance. I liked how we got some sex scenes and hotness between the characters (won't say who!) it made things feel more real.

One of my favorite things about these books is the fact that the main character, a girl, is a brilliant scientist. She's super smart, and I love that. She's not portrayed as some smart women are in literature, I can't describe it but there was an element there that made it feel genuine. She's genuinely intelligent, to the point where she teeters on madness, something I'm all too familiar with.. (Yuk yuk yuk). Forgive my cheesy mood. Anyways, Juliet is smart and doesn't apologize for it. We also get a woman who is a surgeon and Elizabeth is also a doctor. I will never get tired of reading about women who hold usually-male occupations. Not to mention this is in London way back when.

Of course I can't forget to mention how brilliant the writing is too. It felt like the author improved, things were smoother and Juliet was really discovering who she really is --madness and all. With the way things ended, I have some guesses but I love how another element has been introduced: Frankenstein. This book had more of a Dr. Jekyll (or shall I say Jaykll) and Mr. Hyde imagining, while I suspect the next book will focus more on Frankenstein. I recommend this book to lovers of gothic literature, and books with a smart and fearless young heroine. There's gore, murder, mystery and suspense; so if you want to be thrilled you should enter the terrifying world Meghan Shepherd has created. Read this book.



author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

8 comments :

  1. I felt that while the writing of this book was better the plot and story of this one was weaker than the first. At many points I found myself thinking that I had read this in other YA books. her first novel " the madman's daughter" never really had any of those parts for me.
    Still I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to her next book greatly.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/875932575/keep-it-safe

    Https://daydreamerN.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I really loved this one, although it took me a bit to get into the groove of it lol :mj
      I can't wait for the next one either!!

      Delete
  2. This is one of those series I really want to get started on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really got to read this! I have the eARC too and I just need to get to it. Hopefully I will before the year is over. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I wasn't the only one who put it off for so long, LOL. >.<

      Delete
  4. I love when a series improves in book 2, its often the opposite.

    And

    "She's genuinely intelligent, to the point where she teeters on madness, something I'm all too familiar with." LOL :O :O

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!