Monday, July 07, 2014

Middle Grade (ARC) Review: Star Wars Jedi Academy, Return of the Padawan by Jeffry Brown

Star Wars: Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan (Book 2)
Star Wars: Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan by Jeffrey Brown
Source: eARC via Scholastic & Netgalley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars :star :star :star

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was excited when I saw this on Netgalley because I remember seeing the first book and wanting to read it. I hadn't read the first one, but I didn't think it would matter (and it didn't).

The story is about a Jedi in training, Roan, as he goes through the difficulties of middle school Jedi Academy. He deals with bullies, fake friends, strict teachers and teachers who aren't partial to him. It's drawn like a cartoon, and feels a but like a cartoon/graphic novel. Actually, it reminded me a lot of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. It has humor, and a good simple story. I felt like it would be better suited to kids in middle school, versus some of the middle grade books I read that have dual layers which adults can identify with. But don't get me wrong, it's a very cute book. The storyline does pick up where the first book left off, as this is another year for Roan at Jedi Academy. And the next book will see him next year at the Academy training under a Jedi.

I'd recommend it for girls and/or boys who are in middle school or early high school, Star Wars fans, and anyone who likes the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books! Oh, and who can resist a cartoon Yoda making jokes?! ;) 


View all my reviews

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

4 comments :

  1. LOVE Diary of a Wimpy Kid. And as I'm a huge Star Wars fan too, I will definitely have to try these!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then yeah you do! :tup I love Diary of a Wimpy Kid as well ;) it's hilarious
      Thnx for stopping by Jen

      Delete
  2. My son read this first one and really liked it. I didn't grab this one, but I've been thinking I should just pre-order this series for him. He's not quite to middle school, but just about there. We're huge SW fans here. :D

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you should I'm sure he would love it! Especially if he liked the first one. They're great books, love the SW refrences and the message is great. <3 let me know how he likes it!

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!