Friday, May 30, 2014

Grim by Christine Johnson

GrimGrim by Christine   Johnson
Source: eARC via Netgalley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
:star :star :star :star

A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I don't normally read anthologies at all. I actually shy away from them. After reading Grim, I plan on changing that. This is a perfect example of what can happen when you combine excellent young adult authors and a loose interpretation of classic, horrific Brothers' Grim stories. It was a masterpiece!

Granted, not all stories were 5 star material, hence my rating. But most of them were, and the ones I didn't like weren't awful..I don't think any of the stories was awful some were just "meh". My favorites were Saundra Mitchell's (man she knows how to write a truly creepy story!) and Boy by Claudia Gray which was decidely more sci-fi. I liked the combination of classic fantasy with dystopian sci-fi thrown in for good measure.

If all anthologies were this good, I'd read a short story every night! I highly recommend this for lovers of young adult fantasy and horror. I definitely found some new authors to love!



View all my reviews
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. Comment went into the either so am trying again :fire I agree with you about anthologies in general they are not my cuppa, but every once in a while you come across a real gem that introduces you to a new author or authors and off we go with a new series of books to follow. Thank you for sharing this treat with us. Trying out the little smileys to see how they work :D and having fun :mj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you like the smileys >.< I love em too! ;) I hope you try this out, it's the only anthology I'd definitely recommend!! :tup

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!