Monday, May 26, 2014

ARC Review: The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief & Sinister

The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief & SinisterThe Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief & Sinister by Stefan Bachmann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars :star :star :star :star
Source: eARC via Edelweiss

I received a sneak peek copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I love spooky middle grade stories. When I saw this, I immediately got intrigued (I mean, look at that cover!) and the contributing authors are all well known. I definitely am glad I got to peek into this book. I wish all 36 tales would've been included in the ARC, but I definitely will be buying a copy when it's released.

The main reason I loved this was because of how scary it is. I know scary isn't normally a description I use for middle grade/young adult  novels. I mean, I am an adult...and I don't think I've ever really gotten genuinely creeped out by a novel like this. So when I read it late at night and got kinda jumpy, well I was delighted! I mean, what a surprise!

The stories are all very short. Id say no more than 5 or so pages each. And there are plenty of amazing and sinister illustrations too, which is always a bonus. If you're in the mood for an atmospheric book that has a bunch of scary short stories, you need to pick this one up. But, if you're buying this for a child - be warned, may give them nightmares ;) 



View all my reviews

author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

2 comments :

  1. you were genuinely creeped out!? Marvelous I'll definitely be picking it up I love that cover. Sad to hear the ARC didn't have all the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was genuinely creeped out! It was amazing :P glad you're going to be picking it up

      Delete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!