Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Middle Grade Review: The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1) by Lemony Snicket

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Source: Hardcover (my collection)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A Series of Unfortunate Events is a series I’ve wanted to read for a long time. I always thought it looked so good and I really have a thing for great middle grade novels. I’d always see copies of the books in the bookstore where I volunteer – and would buy them from time to time. It wasn’t until I bought a like-new hardcover of the first volume, The Bad Beginning, that I finally got a chance to sit down and start this series I’ve been so curious about.

It’s definitely a unique middle grade book in that it’s not altogether very cheerful (as the name definitely states). The three Baudelaire children are orphaned early on in the novel and thus begins the series of unfortunate events. Violet (the oldest), Klaus, and Sunny (the baby who bites!) are all very smart for children and they each have a distinct personality.

It’s a really short and quick, fun read. I recommend it if you like middle grade books, are a fan of gothic lit/Gaiman, Neil. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series of unfortunate events.




author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

8 comments :

  1. I remember reading these books in 6th grade and they were my absolute favorite! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the rest of the series, as I personally felt it improved in both quality and creepiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got the second one and I can't wait to read it ^_^ Thanks Charlotte!

      Delete
  3. I've been debating letting my almost-ten-year-old son read these. Were they clean/happy enough that you think they'd be good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're clean but they're pretty dark. I'd actually wait until he's a year older...depending on his temperment. My student, who is 13 loved them! But I feel like 10 may be too young, since the kids go through a lot and someone tries to kill them lol ;)

      Delete
  4. I remember reading this whole series when I was younger. I'm glad to liked the first book. :D I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the rest of the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never gotten around to reading this series but, like you, I always see it in book shops. Maybe one day I'll pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!