Friday, January 17, 2014

Discussion: Make haste to preorder or waste to preorder?

So lately with all the talk about anticipated 2014 releases I've been thinking about all the books I'm excited for this new year. But it's got me wondering: How do you go about reading newly released books? 

Do you preorder them? I like preordering for a few reasons. One, oftentimes I forget I did preorder so when I receive the package I get all giddy and pleasantly surprised. ^_^ I also like it. Because I get to read it as soon as it comes out! The problem is, preordering is often expensive. And I know it's not just me, but all book bloggers alike, who already have so many eARCs and books we buy that are piling up! It's hard to add to that by preordering. But sometimes don't you just feel you HAVE to have it? Gimmee Gimmee! ;)

What do you think about publishing companies who use incentives to encourage more preordering? For instance, the upcoming release Cress by Marissa Meyer was a title where the publisher will send you a comb if you send proof of your preorder receipt. I'm skeptical whether I'll actually get the comb (I'll let you guys know!) because doesn't it seem a bit too good to be true? Maybe that's because I haven't actually participated before. I do think it's a good idea, and I can see why publishers love preorders because it can guarantee an author or series success! That's another reason I like to preorder for a series I just adore and want to support.

If you're one that doesn't preorder-- what do you do? Do you get the titles from the library? Do you buy them used or trade with others for perhaps an arc of the title?

I do pretty much all the above avenues to get books I just need to have. I don't preorder too much because it gets costly and sometimes I can't even get to the book right away because I'm usually so backed up with review books! I probably end up preordering books no more than 4x a year. Perhaps I'll end up doing it more this year, but I'm trying really hard to just wait and either go to the library or trade ARC of said book.

Comment below and join the discussion! Do you have a system you follow or a set # of books you preorder? Do you think it's a waste? 
author image

Diamond

(aka Dee) has loved reading for as long as she can remember. She loves many things: fantasy novels, young adult fiction, her cat, painting, and horror films from the 70s. Diamond is a grad student at UCLA. She's pursuing a Master's in Library and Information Science.

17 comments :

  1. Awesome post Dee. I don't do the pre-order thing. I generally don't get to it for a while, it just sits there on my bookshelf - looking pretty, and the price drops after a few weeks. I am still supporting them by buying the books but I need to save where I can too. The promo stuff is cool though, I don't think we have that here.

    Great post though!!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get what you mean. When it sits on your shelf it's like...ahhh why did I preorder it?! Lol. ;)

      Delete
  2. To be honest, I have never pre-ordered a book. The price is always so high and I know that a couple weeks after it is released the price will come down. More recently I have been contemplating whether I want to pre-order Into the Still Blue but the release date is in a few days and I've convinced myself I can wait.
    I may have to pre-order The One though.... I don't know if I can resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I know what you mean. It's hard to pay so much but sometimes u just GOTTA do it. Haha! :P

      Delete
  3. I used to preorder books in bulk to get the super saver shipping, but then I started blogging and my bookshelves started overflowing and I'm so behind on the books I already bought, so I'm not allowing myself to preorder books anymore. I'd rather to go author signings if I'm gonna buy a print book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I feel like since I'm so backed up on my TBR anyway...it's like what's the point haha! :)

      Delete
  4. It's quite rare for me to pre-order books. I've seen a few contests for people that pre-order too. I don't enter them though. There are very few books that I want to read asap. Most of the time I just wait until the book is already out before I either buy it or borrow it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did my comment disappear Dee? I know I commented :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it did! :( I can't find it ..

      Delete
    2. Gremins! I never pre-order. I mostly buy e-books so if I really want a book, I'll just download it on the release day but I rarely even do that. I think I just bought 3 books on release day last year (Allegiant, Rose Under Fire and The Dream Thieves). I will often wait for books to go on sale and snap them up then. If I'm buying physical books, I prefer to go to a bookshop and buy them and again I wouldn't pre-order, I just pick them whenever I was in next.
      Great discussion Dee.

      Delete
  6. I used to preorder books by a few of my favorite authors, but now that I buy only ebooks, there's really no point. If I have to have the book on release day, I can just go buy it and it will appear on my Kindle right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. That's the beauty of kindle right. So, just curious, do you only read books on your kindle now?

      Delete
  7. Great topic! I'm pretty much over the preordering after I saw ALL those people waiting on Allegiant for weeks :) There, something clearly went wrong! I tend to pre-order if I know I'll have the time for the book and will read it right away - like Into the Still Blue or Cress, the really big titles. But usually, I just order books long after they've come out and when I know I feel like reading them :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so you're just like me then Laura! ;) hehe it's o true though bc nothing sucks more than preordering and then not having time to read it anyway,

      Delete
  8. I actually only preorder brand new books if it's an author I absolutely love and trust (there's only a handful of those) and I want the current edition, which is usually a hardback. And since I mostly like paperbacks better, that cuts down on the preorders even more!

    I actually do think those combs will come through, though--Macmillan has done a lot of those pre-order things with Shadow and Bone and their other titles, and I know people who have gotten them. I think those are awesome incentives, I really don't care for the "pre-order this and I MIGHT release a teaser or chapter" campaigns, though. Because c'mon, we know you're gonna do it anyway. :P

    Thanks for the discussion, I always like hearing what everyone else likes to do.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's a good point! I know what you mean about preferring paperbacks overall, but then wanting hardback for certain of your favorite authors. That's how I am with Anne Rice and a few others :O It's rare that I preorder, but sometimes I do. And definitely we know they're going to release that stuff anyway lol.

      Thanks Wendy! I love hearing what others do too :8

      Delete
  9. When I pre-ordered Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff the perk was getting a print copy of a short story of the book. Which was totally worth it. So I think the publisher will stick by their commitment to send you the promo item.

    I tend to do less preordering these days unless its something I REALLY want in hard back for my collection.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! We appreciate every single comment!